Making a pipe carrier

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Meatball, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Meatball

Meatball New Member

Has anyone made a pipe carrier for their vans out of soil pipe or similar. Don’t want to spend £140 or so on a fancy Rhino one. What fittings would you use for sealing the front and giving access to the rear, and how did you attach it to the roof rails?

2. make your carrier out of 110mm grey soil...plug the ends with these ...attach to the roof with ratchet straps

3. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Here you go 'Meatball' the Big D1ck pipe carrier:
    3M lenth 110mm soil pipe.
    1No 110mm sealed cap (plug type).
    1No 110mm screw caps access plug.
    2No 110mm metal pipe brackets.
    1No block wood 88mm(?)diam.
    1No hasp and padlock.

Push the wooden block into the socket end of the pipe, then push the plug into the socket, drill/fix at least 4 screws, glue the access plug onto the pipe spigot end drill/fix 4 screws, pop-rivot hasp to pipe & plug and fit pipe to roof rails with metal pipe brackets with self tappers or nuts/bolts.
    Patent pending.

4. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Sorry, I forgot to say: the wooden block in the front of the carrier, is to stop a pipe flying through the plug if you brake quickly at the traffic lights and so you don't spear a Granny!!!

5. plumberstool

plumberstool New Member

and also a vicious dog lol, came back from holiday last year some tw-t had took my pipe out of mine, in fact on a job other day, bit of a rough area and found my screw cap end on the floor , they had been trying to get to the copper the baz---ds

6. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

Thats sound DP I will knock one up when I have a quite day, can you get the metal brackets from any plumbers merchant?

7. MRWONG006

MRWONG006 New Member

They do lockable ones on eBay for about £85

8. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I've had the soil pipe carriers on a couple of my vans and found them poor, they just don't hold enough.

Fine for an electrician and his conduit or a tiler and his tile trims, a Plumber needs something bigger.

I found that a square or rectangular pipe carrier with the top taken off and then mounted on the inside of the Van (only suitable for high roof vehicles) is a better method.

Like this:-

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g304/bathstyle/IMG4016.jpg

That's at least four 2" pipes in there and plenty more room.

9. oooops

oooops Active Member

and also a vicious dog lol, came back from holiday
    last year some tw-t had took my pipe out of mine, in
    fact on a job other day, bit of a rough area and
    found my screw cap end on the floor , they had been
    trying to get to the copper the baz---ds

give them some lead instead of copper. stick a 12 bore in there.
    theifing gits

10. plummit

plummit New Member

Sorry to say,
    But I have a four inch soil pipe on the roof of my transit, I personnaly dont think it looks the best.
    I have access caps on both ends, ( I agree totally with D!ck, about spearing someone though). But when someone, helps you on a job, starts sticking half lengths back in, access both ends does help.
    I agree with Bathstyle as well, regarding the amount you can get in.
    But 22mm pipe fits inside of 28mm pipe, and 15 mm pipe fits inside of 22mm pipe. Yes D!ck one big spear I know !!.

11. myzeneye

myzeneye New Member

bathstyle... i like it... maybe we could have a "post a pic of inside the back of your van" thread... ha ha ha
    i work for a big company at the minute and the racking etc inside the van is pretty good... im in the slow process of setting up and going on my own, and although im gonna be buying a pretty new/tidy van, i dont htink i could stretch to the costs of fancy storage systems....
    so any idears are good idears as far as im concerned.
    current van has a van vault... not good. takes up to much space and i never lock it !so pointless really...
    tube rack good, allthough i need 2.
    best one ive had so far though was BG's step ladder and rack inside the roof of the van.... that was very good.ladders were easily accesable and kept right out of the way.

12. cheshireblue

cheshireblue New Member

13. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

That's the same make as mine but a bit smaller.

For that price it just seems pointless making one, especially as the square type just fit so much more in them

14. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

Yes,yes these square ones are all very well, but, what if you want to live life on the edge and there's a faint possibility of spearing a traffic warden.........Oh yes, maximum points!!!!!!!!

No, it's got to be the 110mm pipe!!!

15. Meatball

Meatball New Member

Thanks gents, especially DP – you should definitely patent this!

16. r2d2

r2d2 New Member

you should definitely patent this!

The pipe holder or the spear launcher ??

17. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

No problem 'Meatball', it's my pleasure.......By the way, you may be pleased to know, the missus loved gobbling you down the last time we were in Ikea!!!!

18. myzeneye

myzeneye New Member

bloody hell puller !!!
    let me know when she's going again.