Making a router hinge jig.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Cheburashka, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

Has anyone made a jig for cutting hinges into doors? I have some idea of what I might do but, just wondered if anyone had made one.

Don't want to spend hundreds on a Trend one as I'm only doing 5 doors and after that will probably not be used for ages.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

For 5 doors why bother, just use a chisel and skill.:)

3. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Yeah, honestly it's not that hard. I'm an engineer,not a chippie, but I fitted 5 new doors without too much trouble if the door fits the frame.....If it don't then get a chippy in. ;)

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Use the old door as a template for marking the hinge position if this helps. If the old doors were fitted badly to begin with, mark the amount you wish to add or subtract. A sharp set of chisels will do.

5. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

Agreed, for 5 doors it's not worth the time in making a jig ( simple as that may be ) , chisel them out! or if you really want to use a router, mark and freehand them.

6. wuddy

wuddy Member

Cut a strip of 18mm ply or mdf about 60mm cut out for 3 hinges 4mm oversize, fit a stop to give the right width
    Add a screw to the top and wind it out to give correct clearance 2mm for the frame
    Easy to make, Ive made loads in the past
    If your a joiner then its worth the extra time to make one now as you will use it at some point in the future

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

They are very easy to make. I remember reading a project in one of the woodworking magazines i used to read many years ago. But do remember as the cutter is round you will have to still finish to corner of by hand. Trend sell a corner chisel tool, but unless you're fitting lots of doors it probably another tool you could do without. You need a straight cutter and guide bush. Any than make the template accordingly.

8. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

I started making the jig last night. I have chiselled them out in the past and also done them freehand with a router.
    Found a video on youtube of someone making a jig from MDF and that gave me a few tips on how to make the jig.