Making sure that my levels are correct

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Iron_Mike, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Hi

I have gutted a property and am now making it habitable.

Upstairs I have put down new flooring. With the chipboard, underlay and engineered flooring, the height of this floor lays at 300mm.

In the bathroom, a lot of the old floorboards were damaged by woodworm. So I will replace them with a marine plywood.

The standard size for this is 180mm. I know you can get it in 220mm.

However once the adhesive and tiles go down in the bathroom, I expect the floor should raise up a bit.

Not being a tiler, I don't know by how much. I am using 60x30 tiles from Topps Tiles, link attached.

http://m.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod46855/regal-ash-polished-60x30-tile.html

I may be over thinking a problem that doesn't exist. However any advice would be good.

Cheers

IM

2. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Mind your head on the door casings!:p:D

The floor tiles for the bathroom will raise the level by about 15mm (150mm, if you prefer). But it does depend on the tile thickness. Normally about 10mm + 5 for adhesive.

Iron_Mike likes this.
  3. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Make sure the joists are ok then!

Also, when tiling on a wooden floor, which can move, (as opposed to a concrete floor), make sure you use a suitable adhesive and grout... something that can deal with flexing!

Regards,

Cando

Iron_Mike and KIAB like this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would spray the joists with Everbuild Lumberjack triple action wood treatment, excellent product,from competitors.

http://www.everbuild.co.uk/Triple-Action-Wood-Treatment

Use a garden sprayer.:)

Iron_Mike likes this.
  5. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Cheers KIAB, I have used that product on the other joists.

KIAB likes this.
  6. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

That sounds a little thick - guess you mean 18 or 22mm

Don't use Marine Ply if you are going to tile on it. Yes, it is water resistant and stable however there is a better alternative Hardie Flooring.

It is available in both 19 and 22mm and the boards are 2400x500 with a T&G interlock. You can tile directly on them, they are stable and easy to fit.

https://www.jameshardie.co.uk/product/hardiefloor/

KIAB likes this.
  7. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Yes I meant 18mm.

Is James Hardie flooring easy to come by?

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

The time I have needed it, no problem. I found I needed a couple of days notice to allow it to be moved between branches, but if you are planning well ahead - no problems.

KIAB likes this.