Makita 18v lithium ion batteries... Now to tell if they are counterfeit or legit?

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by joinerjon83, Jan 29, 2016.

1. joinerjon83

joinerjon83 New Member

Hi all need some advice I recently purchased 4 Makita 18v 4ah lithium ion batteries from eBay.
    I messages the seller to make sure they were genuine which they replied yes if I have any problems to contact them straight away.
    Now from a suggestion by my other half I checked the sellers reviews (stupidly after purchasing them) to my horror the last 10 reviews are all bad and about the batteries I've purchased saying they are fake knock offs or cheap counterfeit batteries and to not buy... But too late :/
    Now I've bought the cheap ones before and they have no writing on the side and are genuinely easy to tell apart from the real deal.
    The batteries arrived today and I've no idea how to tell if they are real or not they have writing on the sides like the real ones... Charge fine (all 4 of them)
    The only difference is the bit on the bottom... It's all writing on the new ones I have where as my old have recycling diagrams etc...
    These are the first batteries I've bought in years so I don't know if this is a new battery thing or a tell tale sign they aren't legit batteries.
    Any help very much welcomed.
    Jon.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Open a case on Ebay.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

As KIAB says open a case under not as description.

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Can you post a link to the Ebay ad, maybe someone will be able to. compare them to ones they have.

Astramax likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Just had a quick on Ebay,numerous listings, it's obvious they are fake as they have no Makita branding, just a plain case.:eek:

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yeah sounds about right, a couple of years ago bought a new 14 volt dewalt battery, all marked up and advertised as genuine, only lasted 3 months, complete c#ap. Posting the link would be a good idea as we could all possibly swamp the retailer with questions about how genuine they are.;):D:p

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If you paid using PayPal getting a refund won't be a problem. If the guy demands them back first, just say you were going to send one to Makita, one to Trading standards and the rest to your mate on Watchdog.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You may have a problem because if the wording on the site ad doesn't specifically state they are original or genuine, they are not lying.

In addition, the word 'replacement' may specifically signify that they are not a genuine part, as does 'compatible'.

They may also list the manufacturer and other stuff like EAN numbers which are there for you to check out. If they are not there, and you still buy, well........

You have all the information to make your decision before purchase.

If they are working, you should expect them to perform a certain way, and for a certain period of time. If they don't, that is when you can complain and kick up a fuss, because they haven't told you that they wouldn't perform as well as an original.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I don't think you are able to send lithium batteries via Royal Mail.

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I sold a drill, and the cashier wanted it to be connected to the drill, wouldn't accept it individually. Had to get a label on the side of the box though.