Marking & staining on tiles! Help needed!

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Ross1980, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

:rolleyes: Another thr

miss pickle likes this.
  2. miss pickle

miss pickle Well-Known Member

3. Ross1980

Ross1980 New Member

Hi everyone

Sorry I wasn't able to respond to your messages - thanks for helping! See attached a few pictures of the floor. image.jpg image.jpg

4. miss pickle

Ooooh lordy! What a shame! :eek: I see what you mean!!!

Buy some lino and cover it :D

The cloudy stuff is along the grouting line. Was it like that before you used the steam cleaner?

5. Ross1980

Ross1980 New Member

Yes it was like that before then - we only tried the steam cleaner recently. We suspect it might have been something in a cleaning product or the limescale from water being left on the surface. The tiles did have some marks post installation from some bits of adhesive.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

There are probably lots of possibilities. From the pictures, it looks like spots of limescale, BUT not necessarily surface scale. It is possible the tiles were badly sealed at the factory, and limescale or even just water has penetrated leaving the tile permanently discoloured.
    It is also possible that grout/adhesive removed after it dried too much, has removed thbe coating making it porous.
    Or maybe the grouting has let water underneath the tiles and it is leaching up.

Most of the time, surface limescale will appear gone if a drop of water is put on it. Does that happen? If it does, it'll be only surface discolouring.

If it is only surface, a clear tile sealer will most likely soak in, recolour and reseal for you.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

miss pickle and Ross1980 like this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Cilit Bang....swear by it!:cool:

8. Ross1980

Ross1980 New Member

Thanks for your advice - it's really helpful! It's definitely surface discolouring with limescale based on what I have researched and your view supports that. I'll look into a good clear tile sealer. Appreciate your help buddy!

miss pickle likes this.
  9. miss pickle

I take it all back Andy :rolleyes::rolleyes: you are a genius :D

10. miss pickle

Phil is still my favourite though :p

So don't go getting all excited :rolleyes:o_O

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  11. miss pickle

Be lovely to see a photo of it looking all nice when its done :) so don't forget us!
    All the best with it.