Masking Tape

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Superdec, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Superdec

Superdec New Member

Hi Guys.

Just wondering how many of the professional decs on here would use masking tape on a twist pile carpet to cut skirts in to carpet? Ive been in the trade for over 40yrs and have always cut-in to a carpet freehand.

Recently told by a customer that the lack of masking tape to cut-in skirting is unprofessional.

What do you guys do?

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Ill take the liberty of giving my two penneth worth though I'm not a decorator by trade mate, in that situation I would have politely asked the bell end customer if they were happy with your work so far, on what basis does he/she have to make a statement like that, to a tradesman that has got 40years of graft behind them, and why have they employed your services in the first place if they are clearly such experts?

For clarification, two of my mates (sometimes workmates) are proper apprenticeship, old school time served decorators, and any cutting in is always done with a steady hand, the masking tape is kept for bandaging stanley knife mishaps :)

chippie244 likes this.
  3. Superdec

Superdec New Member

Thanks for your reply Jord86.

As explained to the very difficult customer, there isn't a masking tape that i know of that will adhere to a twist pile carpet enough to prevent the paint (Johnstone's Aqua) from seeping under the tape on to the carpet. Sure if push came to shove gorrila tape could be used but its not something that id use tbh -free hand is much cleaner and gives better control of where the paint is going as its worked out.

She then goes on to argue that the "cross-linking properties' in the Aqua paint means once its on a carpet it cannot be wiped clean (with turps according to her) I gave up with her and simply let her rabbit her amateurish nonsense.

Out of curiosity, thought id email mailed Johnstone head office to enquire about the purpose cross of linking properties in paint - they say that any paint flecks with their water based paint can be easily removed by lightly wiping with soft soapy clean cloth (which any dec would know anyway) for up to 7 days before the paint matures.

Tbh, if i saw a dec masking carpet to paint skirts then id consider them to be somewhat amateurish.

4. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Would have thought gorilla tape would start to take up the carpet upon removal, quite strong stuff. I would gently slip into the next conversation you have with her that you've emailed the manufacturer and see what her reaction is.

If she's that nitpickety sounds like she needs a shag. Are 'cross linking purposes' relative to 'increased invoice inflation' by any chance? Because if she's that excruciating then she'll be snagging your work (however flawless a finish) to the nth degree and I would recommend safeguarding yourself if still possible.

Put masking tape down as much as it goes against the grain, at least it's taking away one possible avenue of her possibly picking holes later on. Best of luck.

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I think there's a rather large clue in the name of the paint,, "Johnstones Aqua." She sounds a total idiot. Next time ask her to look up the etymology of the word "Aqua " and get back to you. ;););)

6. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

I always mask the carpet, not so much for cutting in purposes but more to stop flicking up carpet fibres onto wet paint.

Astramax likes this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Show me a shag pile or other that doesn't stick to wet paint :rolleyes: