matt or silk finish?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by charlie k, Oct 22, 2005.

1. charlie k

charlie k New Member

which is the most popular or trendiest finish for emulsion on walls and ceilings?

2. handyman.

handyman. New Member

matt......and satinwood on the woodwork

3. charlie k

charlie k New Member

thanks for the reply, do you mind if I ask why and what is wrong with silk..... and gloss on the woodwork?

4. trustedman

trustedman New Member

silk shows up every imperfection both in your walls and in your painting, you can see every brush mark

Gloss is much harder to paint that satinwood/eggshell. you get more runs with gloss and therefore you invariably end up putting less paint on and getting a poorer finish. Satinwood and Eggshells are self undercoating and thicker, making the coverage and runs easier to control.

5. handyman.

handyman. New Member

yup, silk shows everything up and just looks naff. Dito with gloss.

6. charlie k

charlie k New Member

But when you use silk and gloss it looks like your hard work has been rewarded as it looks shiney and new, dont you feel when matt is used it looks old and tired as soon as youve done it?

7. handyman.

handyman. New Member

no, it looks like you've painted it for a 'old person'

8. charlie k

charlie k New Member

thanks handyman, that was the responce I was not wanting to hear, it seams im old before my time and ive wasted alot of time painting my house with silk and gloss! doh!!!!

9. handyman.

handyman. New Member

Well, i have been doing this for 3 years now, and have never put silk emulsion up, and only once use gloss.

Matt and satinwood all the way, unless, of course, you have a zimmer.;)

10. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Hi charlie k.

Keep your gloss on the woodwork by all means, but I think the vast majority of peeps would much prefer matt for walls and ceilings.

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Nope. Always silk, and always gloss on woodwork unless keeping woodwork effect, then stain(satin).

Mr. Handyandy - really

12. paintycait

paintycait New Member

In 20 years in the biz I've probably applied gloss to woodwork on average twice a year. I love glossing too...love to do it more, but it is definitely not fashionable. Pick up any style magazine (even the cheap ones) and you will hardly see gloss items at all except in reference to "retro" style. There are plenty folks that still like gloss tho', just that we deal almost exclusively with high end homes and there...it is definitely not the thing. Vinyl silk is so out it's almost embarrassing ;)
    Even in bathrooms and kitchens we spec matt acrylics now or flat oils as opposed to silk. Glossed walls are in, if looking retro is what you want.

However, it's your house, no-one else has to live in it but you and you should go with what you like and what suits your ability and budget...however, if you are trying to sell your home change it.
    Cait

13. Lightning McQueen

Lightning McQueen New Member

This satinwood stuff? Is this what you are referring to?

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=101644&ts=68195&id=75370

I've never used it before. Always used gloss but didn't realise it was sooooo out of date. I'm obviously older than my days. However, if this is the right stuff to be using these days I'll give it a go.

So can anyone advise if I'm looking at the right gear.

Thanx,

Skil.

14. handyman.

handyman. New Member

tis the correct stuff.

I use dulux trade satinwood. Also, if you want it to stay really white for years (no yellowing) then try waterbased dulux satinwood.

Only problem with the waterbased stuff is you really need a brilliant white undercoat as its coverage is very poor. But you dont need to paint it for years as it stays brilliant white.

I always explain to my customers the tradeoff of more labour or paint again in a few years. Some want non yellowing, so dont.

15. paintycait

paintycait New Member

Handyman, you are right about the non-yellowing but you need to explain about the fact that you can't just wack acrylic over alkyd (or oil as it's known)...that is unless you want to peel it off in sheets.

Skil,
    Satinwood is basically a very slightly more shiny version of eggshell.
    Cait

16. handyman.

handyman. New Member

acrylic over oil based paints?? Well, all i do it sand it (as usual), anything more I should know??

Why do you put " you need to explain" then dont explain?? Teh inner workings of a womans mind.......very complicated

17. Lightning McQueen

Lightning McQueen New Member

Thanks for that advice, Handyman, and thanks, Cait.

I'm on with the back room at the moment so I'll give this Satinwood stuff a go and see what I think. Like I said though, I really didn't realise that gloss was so out of fashion. I'm embarassed!!

18. handyman.

handyman. New Member

hi skil6513,

Good luck......this painting game is very complicated you know

19. paintycait

paintycait New Member

Skil, it doesn't matter what you have, it's your house, have what you like.
    As I said, matt and eggshell will help sell a house...it's what the punters want.

Handyman,
    Acrylic paints have very little adhesion to alkyd paints esp. to gloss. You can use alkyd undercoat, it's mattness means once sanded it will take acrylic OK, but better to use a conversion primer - Zinsser, Dulux, Crown, International etc. do them. At a pinch even a good sand down and normal acrylic primer undercoat will help but it isn't ideal. It's not any more work/cost to the customer than alkyd gloss over alkyd gloss as you still have to put a coat of undercoat over gloss before coating anyway.
    Cait

20. trinity

trinity New Member

Trends they are changing again!

For the last 3 years at least, nearly all my customers have had oil eggshell and matt walls.
    In recent months this has changed.
    People seem to be going back to gloss.

Walls are still staying matt in general. Have never put silk on walls, only on kitchen ceilings. (Don't like the idea, but older people like to be able to wash their ceilings!)

As a compromise I would reccommend Soft Sheen.
    More than half of my customers have it on walls in the hall and staircase as it is more wipeable. (grubby fingers!)