Mature carpentry apprenticeship

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Deacs10, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Deacs10

Deacs10 Member

Hi,

I am 29 years old finally realised what I want to do for the rest of my life, site carpentry. Is it common that people over 24 get apprenticeships? Does it still take 4 years to be fully qualified? £2.68 isn't much an hour for someone of my age who has rent and bills to pay, do the government help out at all? Is there a faster way of becoming qualified, I am a quick learner and very hard working and determined to get into the industry.

If anyone has the answers to these questions I would really appreciate it some guidance.

Many thanks

2. wuddy

wuddy Member

It takes about 10 years to become competent and many more to be a good all rounder

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

£2.68 is what a first year apprentice aged 16 would be paid. At age 29 you'd be entitled to the NMW at least (but your extremely unlikely to get an apprenticeship at your age.

FatHands likes this.
  4. Deacs10

Deacs10 Member

Thanks for your reply. Sadly that is what I thought. Do you think it would help if I offered to pay my college fees and for the first year take the national apprentice pay? Or would you say employers on really want young apprentices?

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

You couldn't survive on £2.68p an hour mate. I'm only just keeping my head above water on almost £7 an hour. ;);)

6. Deacs10

Deacs10 Member

I have saved up some cash for this so hopefully should be ok. But just need to find someone that will take me in now

7. Timberr

Timberr New Member

I started at thirty, so it can be done (don't listen to these negative types). Got made redundant and wanted to do something Ive always wanted to do, but as you start maturing and things get more expensive it's hard to make the leap. I will admit it's hard finding a placement. My boss wont take on school leavers any more (and he's taken on someone at 34) just because they aren't battled hardened for the workplace, and there were others in class in there late twenties and even a girl in her late thirties. Don't get me wrong its really tough financially I don't go out much these days I haven't bought clothes and been on a holiday for three years, I suppose I was lucky my missus has taken a lot of the burden. Do a proper course (3 years) and learn of a an experienced chippy, not a phoney quick 15 week course. I've been to uni as well and the apprenticeship scheme is way better, go for it best thing i've done.

Deacs10 and Sean_ork like this.
  8. daniel999

daniel999 New Member

Not sure how useful this was be, but feeling not do dissimilar to you Deacs10, at 31 I wanted to "learn building skills" and so put little home made flierson builders vans that I came across locally. I was offered a job and was pretty much learning on the job - I could, if I pushed it with the builder, probably have got to go to college a day a week and get "my papers", but all I really wanted was to be able to work, and learn the trades...

If I were you, find a friendly local builder/chippy who'll take you on - get paid a reasonable proper "wage" and see if you can get to go through college if you really want to - at yours, or their expense...

Unfortunately I slipped a disc...so had to go back to a desk job...but I do feel I had it in the bag....if I was able to stick with it...

I do empathise with you...how do you "learn a trade"...if you aren't 16!?

Good luck!

Deacs10 likes this.
  9. Deacs10

Deacs10 Member

Cheers timberr, it's really encoraging to have some positive replies on here! Nice to see that someone has managed to do this, good on you. I think the financial burden will be worth it on the long run to be doing something that you actually enjoy doing. I have been in contact with a few companies and had a little bit of positive feedback so fingers crossed I could find an apprenticeship. Thanks again for your post and best of luck with it all

10. Deacs10

Deacs10 Member

Nice one Daniel, cheers for the positive reply that is very helpful. It does show if you put the work in you can do what you want. Sorry to hear you slipped your disc doing it though. Thanks for the advice it's very encouraging!

11. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

My advice on it would be to get down to a local college, sign up and pay your own way in. I went back to do wood machining to add to my carpentry and joinery and found the tutor happy to let me do my own work as projects on the course which was great, subsidised breakfast and a student card for 3 years was a bonus too. You will have to work as well to pay your way. Just get an evening job or you might start picking up enough private work to keep you busy. Tough but worthwhile. Then in the holidays people will be tapping you up for jobs and then you start to pick up the experience.

Good luck with it!

12. Deacs10

Deacs10 Member

Thanks for the advice. Think what I will do is enroll in college one day a week and see if anyone will take me on as a mature apprentice. I will have all my own tools and transport so hopefully a small company might take me on.

Cheers for the positive advice!

13. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Deacs10,I always believe you get out of life what you put in,and with your obvious drive and willingness to learn and work hard I'm sure your get to where you want to be.I'm in the plumbing trade and I have seen guys retrain to do plumbing in their mid forties and they do a blxxdy good job,I'm sure carpentry for you won't be any different.
    Good luck.