Maximum loading for a kitchen wall cupboard

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by diymostthings, May 6, 2016.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Last week I fitted a 600mm corner wall unit as part of my refurb. project. With similar projects, I've always had a lovely "plaster over solid brick" wall to plug for the fixings. The current wall is dot and dab plasterboard over lightweight blockwork. I therefore used 100mm concrete screws for the wall brackets, which seemed to screw up well.

I then "hung" the cupboard and decided to test the security of the fixings by loading it - two tubs of tile cement and two boxes of tiles totalling 45.7kg.

Over 4 days there was no sign of any sagging or fixing failure so I'm assuming the cupboard will be OK for normal use. BUT before I go weighing saucepans, plates cups and saucers etc. does anyone know what the accpeted standard loading for such cupboards is? Surely this is a very important figure!

Kind regards

diymostthings

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

That's quite a loading, it's almost half my body weight.:):)

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Don't use it to house your collection of cylinder heads or anchors, but it ain't going nowhere. With soft blocks, drop a drill size (1/2mm) and drill down at a slight angle to anchor your screws a bit more.

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If you shaved that beard off it would be your body weight. :D:D:D

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Talking of my avi, how do I rotate it?

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Anti-clockwise :D

7. Phil the Paver

I thought Jit had sorted it out and posted one the right way up. ?????

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Either 90 deg anti or 270 clock :p

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Smarty pants :p

10. Phil the Paver

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

12. Phil the Paver

How, I can't access your account.:)

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Does anyone recognise the shower curtain from the vid I posted? :eek:
    :eek:

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I can't access that photo :mad:

15. Phil the Paver

Copy my pic and then try and upload it as your avi pic.

CGN likes this.
  16. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

It worked!! :eek:

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Cheers Phil. :):):):)

18. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Years ago I worked on council house refurbs. One chap complained that his kitchen cupboard had fell off the wall within a week of moving back into his refurbished property and had damaged the refrigerator below. I went round to have a look and found that he'd loaded a 1000mm wall unit with nothing but tinned food. When I say loaded, I mean absolutely full, tins on top of tins. He'd even taken out the shelf so he could fit more tins in. The unit had been screwed to the wall using 4 x 3" screws, into solid brickwork. On inspection, the unit was still screwed to the wall, but the bottom of the unit had given way under the weight of tins on it. Ended up replacing it with 2 x 500mm units. Left the tenant with the advice not to fill it with tin cans of food until no more could fit in it and not to remove the shelfs.

CGN likes this.
  19. diymostthings

Yes I was surprised by how heavy that load was. If I'd have weighed those items before the trial I don't think i would have made it so heavy. Anyway I'm happy now that it will be OK. Thanks for the reply.

diymostthings

20. diymostthings

Thanks for that tip CGN. Well I did experiment with drill sizes on a bit of wall which would be half way down where the cupboard would be and I noticed the recommended drill size produced a failry loose fit - could almost screw the concrete screw up by hand. So I actually tried what you suggest and produced a much tighter fixing - great minds think alike!

Thanks again CGN - great!

diymostthings

CGN likes this.