MCB Lock Off Device

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by DIYDave., Aug 2, 2014.

1. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi all and a quick question please;

I was changing a couple of socket face plates the other day, switched off MCB and double checked that circuit was dead

I trimmed a bit off the conductors to give fresh copper (wires were a bit long and squashed in box anyway) and I wondered if the MCB could trip back on making the socket, and possibly me live (or dead) !

Maybe a daft question but thought that I would ask

Have seen the above devices and they're not expensive off flea bay
    Guess that their main purpose is to stop anyone else inadvertently switching the circuit back on without you knowing it but are they worth using for the purpose of my question

Thanks one and all

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I personally don't know the answer a sparks would give, but my personal take on it is, anything that could stop you from being killed by somebody switching the MCB back on, not knowing you are working on the circuit has good to be a good thing.

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Please refer to EAWR operational procedures Dave - thank you..:cool:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

4. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

We had a little ditty on site, and it follows thus -

''If In doubt - whip the cut-out out''

:rolleyes:

seneca likes this.
  6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I do keep a few in the car, never ever used them but I keep them handy in case I ever get asked to produce them on niceic assessments, never been asked up to now! As my work is all domestic I don't worry too much but if I done commercial i'd be a bit more cautious.

7. Bazza-spark

Hi Sen

Its so easy in an industrial environment for another spark to switch on a "tripped" mcb. I always ensure I fit a proper lockoff, then they know its intentional.

Kind regards

BS

8. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

If I am working on a circuit for some time, in a work place with loads of people, lock of devices are never used. I will disconnect the circuit within the distribution board, and stick my magnetic "electrician at work" sign on the DB.

Far better to disconnect that try to isolate IMO.

Beefstu likes this.
  9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes Baz I don't doubt that, as I said I would be much more concerned if was doing commercial/industrial work. If I am at all worried I usually slip a short length of 1mm earth wire through the lock-off holes that most mcb's have.

10. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Just as a matter of interest on my first niceic assessment some years ago he asked whether I had any lock-off devices and I said yes I have, i'll get them from the car and he said no don't bother in this situation but always consider whether you need to use them. He went on to tell me about an assessment he'd done some time before, in an office I think he said, where the chap had turned off the mcb then whilst doing a test of some sort suddenly there was a bang. It turned out that the receptionist had wondered why her printer or something wasn't working, then went and looked at the d/board and found an mcb turned off, and of course turned it back on!

11. Bazza-spark

My point entirely.

Kind regards

BS

12. Bazza-spark

Hi Lec

See your point, but opening a 3 phase DB to disconnect a circuit, be it one, two or 3 phases live goes against the electricity at work regs when you can isolate and lock off in seconds.

Kind regards

BS

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Thanks guys for all your speedy responses - impressive on a Saturday night !

As I'm a diy'er, any electrical work done is on a purely domestic basis, usually in my own house (might change a light fitting for my mum, etc)

Realise that someone else in the property, domestic or commercial, upon finding a dead circuit, may be inclined to look at the CU, see a "tripped" mcb and re-set - may be nasty if this is the one your working on
    So, the lock off device stops this, plus padlock or grub screw plus warning signs

But apart from this situation, can an mcb actually "trip" itself back on ?
    Just wondered really

14. Lectrician

How many times do you isolate a CU or DB to add a new circuit? In reality, how often are TP DB's isolated when the cover is removed?

15. Bazza-spark

Hi Lec

I frequently replace damaged sockets and switches etc. Always isolate and lock off the circuit and prove it dead to.

Had too many close calls.

Yes, many times DB isn't isolated when adding a new circuit, but the MCB isn't there till I come to connect it.

Kind regards

BS

16. Lectrician

Much prefer to drop a live from an MCB than rely on a lock of device. There is nothing quite like isolation than "pulling the plug".

17. Biochef

Biochef Member

I still give my cables a short with pliers just Incase it's helped me being blown up many years ago

18. Pete Jones

Pete Jones Active Member

19. Beefstu

Beefstu Member

20. Lectrician

All these safe isolation procedures always miss one critical step in my opinion.

I believe you should verify your test lamp on the circuit you are about to isolate, rather than a proving device or known live source. The reason being, you can then be sure that the device you isolate (fuse you pull etc) is actually isolating the circuit you are working on.

In a large installation, it would be foolish to pull a fuse and test the circuit is dead - It could be dead for another reason, you may be pulling the wrong fuse.

Always test a circuit is live, and then check it is dead. If you can, operate the isolation device a couple times to prove the supply comes and goes. You know for sure you are on the correct device in this way.