MCB sizes

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Welshdragon, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Welshdragon

Welshdragon New Member

A bit of a dumb question to you techies out there but here goes! Are different manufacturers' MCBs interchangeable? ie Are they the same physical dimensions?

2. Kwichy

Kwichy New Member

Well, most are a standard size nowadays, but they look different
    and i personally dont like mix and matching.

I would fit a different one to get someone out of trouble, i.e. a popped
    Mcb on a lighting circuit, but i'll always try and find an original to match
    the board back up and replace it later.

Speaking of which, anyone got a spare B16 GET Schupa (6k) ;)

3. Kai

Kai New Member

Try your local Wickes for B16 GET Schupa (6k) MCB breakers.

4. Trip-Lock

Trip-Lock New Member

I can't stand the look of mongrel boards with a bit of this and a bit of that fitted. It looks nasty.

Triplock

5. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Bits and pieces of breakers noted on a visual start's alarm bells ringing for me

6. Welshdragon

Welshdragon New Member

OK - Let's try a new tack! Does anyone know where I can obtain Vynckier MCBs? Not Screwfix apparently.

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Different makes have different pitch connections onto the busbar so its not easy to mix em up. Even if the pitch is the same the switches will be different and it looks cr*p. You may find the breaking current is different from other makers so that will stick a query on yer test cert.
    AND dont even think of trying to find something else to fit a Square D board!
    Its easy to buy MCBs from just about every manufacturer so why not use the same as the existing ones and do a decent job for a change.

Bazza

8. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

Mem are not to DIN standard so you are buggered if you need a fast breaker replacement with something from the van.

9. In_too_deep

In_too_deep New Member

Try
    http://www.thefusecompany.com/
    I couldn't find Vynckier however they claim to be able to get you any mcb or fuse.
    They have been helpful to me in the past.

10. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

11. Try Senate Electrical ! It is a GEC Board