MDF PAINT WORK

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Greg087678, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Greg087678

Greg087678 New Member

I am working with MDF to create a shoe box type thing. I want it to have a gloss finish in the colour of Orange or blue.

What are some quick simple ways to prepare the MDF for this gloss finish?

What primers need to be used?

What type of paint needs to be used?

Thanks

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Multi Surface Primer, make sure the cut edges are well sealed, undercoat in a suitable colour for the blue or orange followed by gloss topcoat.
    Or method two, MSP followed by 2 coats of Crown Solo gloss in your colour choice (self undercoating).

3. Greg, what sort of finish quality are you hoping for? Like a professional 'production' high-gloss smooth mirror finish? Or a gloss finish like you'd expect from glossing woodwork at home?

'Cos the latter is wot you're gonna get ;)

4. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

I'd recommend sanding all bare edges with something like a 180grit , applying a shellac sanding sealer and sanding again with 320(or higher).
    You can also apply the sanding sealer to all faces of the board, again sanding once dry to a 320 or higher grade, before applying a standard primer/undercoat and top coat, give a light sand off in between all coats with the high grade paper too.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If you use the sanding sealer method the cellulose sanding sealer dry's rapidly quick within minutes as opposed the methylated spirit based sanding sealer which takes several hours to fully harden. A little goes a long way.

6. Greg087678

Greg087678 New Member

So is this correct???
    - So sand all over using 180 grit
    - Apply primer (are primer and sealer the same thing?) Once dry sand all over using 320 grit
    - Apply an under coat, sand using 320 grit when dry
    - Apply paint colour (how many coats? Do u sand invetween each coat?)
    - Finally apply a coat of clear gloss
    Further comments would be appreciated, thanks

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No, primer and sanding sealer are different products.

Undercoat will be the recommended colour for the gloss coat

Lightly Sand between coats to remove any knibs.

When dry paint over the undercoat with the colour of gloss you have chosen .
    That's it!

8. Greg087678

Greg087678 New Member

What is the difference of primer and sealer? Do I use both

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You do not need both, primer and sanding sealer do basically the same 'to seal the surface' however they have different uses depending on what you are doing, sanding sealer is much more expensive than oil or acrylic primer. The function of a primer is to seal the surface to which a subsequent coat of paint us applied. Sanding sealer can and is also a finishing product used a lot by woodturners, furniture restoration, personally I used gallons of it 25+ years ago for sealing striped pine furniture prior to applying the wax finish.

10. Greg087678

Greg087678 New Member

Thanks
    Which should I use, primer or sealer? I am using MDF for a shoe box which will be painted and sanded

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The choice is yours!

12. Greg087678

Greg087678 New Member

So is this correct???
    - So sand all over using 180 grit
    - Apply primer
    - Once dry sand all over using 320 grit
    - Apply an under coat, sand using 320 grit when dry
    - Apply paint colour
    - sand between colours
    - Finally apply a coat of clear gloss
    Further comments would be appreciated, thanks

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I've painted several items built from MDF and have got good results on the problematic edges by using Leyland acrylic primer undercoat

Never bother with so called MDF primers but used the Leyland on all surfaces, 2 coats on the smooth faces and 3/4 on the edges

This primer is nice and dense, good obliterating properties and acts almost like a fine filler (or high build primer)

Water based, dries in around an hour (warm, dry conditions) apply with 4 inch foam roller and a light sand between coats

1st couple of coats throws up the usual problems with the MDF going "fluffy" so hence sand. Coats 3/4 really build up the surface, filling in any tiny gaps, light sand and a great smooth surface for your topcoats
    Just watch out for paint build up on the faces and remove any with a paint brush. Anything uv missed once dry will easily sand off

Although water based I've top coated with solvent based and acrylic paints and no problems with either, it's a great product in my opinion - give it a try Greg

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What's the clear gloss? do you mean varnish?
    You mention 'apply a paint colour'...that is the gloss top coat.

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You may do better by looking on YouTube at 'How to paint MDF' plenty of tutorial video's on there.