Mdf worktop with tiles

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Matt2015, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Matt2015

Matt2015 New Member

Hi,

I'm looking to build a worktop using granite tiles. I was going to lay them on marine ply because it might get wet/ damp. Just come back from Travis P and having got a quote for the stuff i'm now thinking water resistant MDF. Does anyone use this for applications like this? I'm thinking two layers of 18mm to make sure there is no flex. Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Cheers
    Matt

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Flat surface is far more practical & hygienic.

Tiles can be a real pia.

3. Matt, as you say it almost certainly will get wet/ damp...

How waterproof is this MDF (I don't know)?

Bear in mind you'll also have to ensure the most vulnerable parts - the edges front and back - are fully protected if they are vulnerable. So make sure that whatever base you choose is nigh-on waterproof.

Your essential idea is fine - tiling a solid top. But I wonder if MDF is the best? I think it has a tendency to 'sag' over time under its own weight. Wouldn't a double layer of water-resistant chipboard (flooring stuff) be better? And cheaper. (Pretty sure it's what I used for this)

Anyhoo, ensure it is either fully water 'proof' or else ensure you fully protect it. I would then lay the tiles on a solid bed (Ie - fully covering the surface, but then 'notched' afterwards - but not right through - according to instructions) of whatever good quality tiling adhesive that would be used for wet areas such as wetrooms, showers, etc. A setting 'cementous' type?)

Finally, grout using epoxy grout. I would suggest that that last point is essential...

What KIAB says about the drawbacks of rough textures is correct. However, as someone who has a tiled worktop, the advantages over any other top are numerous - incredibly durable, roasting tins from oven straight on to top, they can be scrubbed until the cows come home, etc.

In my house no other top would have survived my wife's abuse over the 10 years it's been in place...

4. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

As KIAB tbh, we had a house where 4" tiles were used, walls and work surface, was a nightmare on all counts, I soon got rid of them.
    Though as DA says, there are plus points.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Go for concrete worktops, any colour you like, far superior to tiles.:)

[​IMG]

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Another problem with tiles, drop a pan, or a heavy dish, you risk chipping, cracking tiles.

7. I used 4" floor tiles.

Now't will chip them...

(That wouldn't destroy a normal top...)

8. That's as nice a concrete top as I've ever seen :)

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You don't know women then.

10. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Having made a tiled worktop in a past house I suggest using marine ply topped with hardiboard or similar waterproof concrete board and tile on to that. I used epoxy grout. PITA to use - like grouting with treacle, but far superior than normal grout for a food prep surface. With granite square edge tiles you should be able to get a very narrow grout line. When I did mine, I inlaid a large piece of contrasting slate (I picked up from the local memorial mason) as a pastry surface. Worked a treat. The ply base will give you a timber edge so you can dowel/biscuit a hardwood edging on if you want.

Don't know about waterproof mdf. How waterproof is it? normal MDF/chipboard is a definite No.

KIAB likes this.
  11. I repeat what I said above - no other worktop would have survived the abuse given to it by my wife.

Constant source of 'tension' in t'kitchen; she leave the tops flooded (I can often 'splash' my palms on the surface), slops food all over it (which she then leaves to fully dry...), chops veg and cuts bread directly on the top (chopping board? You're 'aving a laugh...), etc etc.

Hey - don't get me started... :oops:

Tiny01 and KIAB like this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Concrete & polishing have made big advances last few years in the UK, but we still lag behind the yanks for concrete countertops, they have them in kitchens, bathrooms, even vanity tops with a basin all made in concrete.:D

13. Matt2015

Matt2015 New Member

Hi Guys,

Cheers for such quick replies. The reason we're going for tiles (610x610 mm) is affordability and access - want a stone top but we've got very tight access on the fourth floor of a block and have to go up a very narrow switchback staircase in the flat. Building on site is going to be the only option.

Going to take a look at water resistant chipboard and the epoxy grout.

Cheers all!
    Matt

14. Don't forget to come back with piccies of the finished job :)