MDPE double check valve question

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by pocster, May 30, 2016.

1. pocster

pocster New Member

Hey all,

The water company have insisted I install one of these externally on a new build.
    It's not a problem. They want a chamber so it can be accessed.
    My issue is once in place if it fails it will be very difficult to remove. Because it's inline there will be very little lateral movement to pull the fixing off in either direction. Pipes either side are quite rigid and embedded in the ground.
    My proposal was to add 2 90degree MDPE joints which in turn connect to the double check valve which also has a 90 degree turn at each end. This way it can be pulled up and off rather than trying to remove it side to side. Hope this makes sense!

Is this sensible?
    I have to have this because of rainwater harvesting. Even apparently if the valve is checked and works fine I am supposed to replace it regardless every 5 years ; so Wessex Water say......

This a good plan?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can't see a problem with that.

When we use to supply water to drinking troughs we just use offset the supply pipe in & out coming in to access box from opposite corners/ends, fit 90 degree elbows to each pipe,then a short piece of straight pipe in other end of elbow & join to a straight check valve.

Like a one part of a swastika.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG]
    Like this, I can't get paint to work this morning.:(

Leave a bit of slack in pipe coming in & going out, & it's easy to change valve then.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  4. pocster

pocster New Member

Hey!

The problem is MDPE isn't very flexible and I don't want to attempt to remove the valve and put 'stress' on the water meter box fixing. I'm assuming it is replaced every 5 years so was just thinking of an 'easy' solution.
    Think I'll do as I suggested!

Thanks all!