MDPE pipe or copper through the wall ?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Cross90, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Cross90

Cross90 New Member

Trying to piece together information to complete getting a water supply into my garage, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If running water through my garage wall, is it better to bring it up the outside of the wall and use a 90bend, then continuing the MPDE through the wall and then using a reducer inside to 15mm copper ?

Or use a reducing bend and change to copper outside of the wall ?

Cheers

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Traditionally MDPE enters a property underground through a sleeve, this alleviates the issue of freezing in winter. However if you installing it retrospectively then you can use either option you mentioned, but I would strongly recomend you lag the pipes. You will need a waterproof lagging, something along the lines of Armoflex, be sure to tape it up well.

KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree, I done outside taps like in garage, stables, were I just cored a 50mm-75mm hole through concrete floor, & then dug outside & cored through to meet up,or sometimes haved just cored at angle from inside to the out side.
    Install pipe in bit of ducting,then expanded foam to seal/ insulate everything.:)

4. Cross90

Cross90 New Member

Thanks for your reply, yeah bringing it up through the floor was considered however the foundations of the house are a raft, which I'm lead to believe makes it very hard if near impossible to do without a lot of upheaval.

I'd planned on lagging both ends, when leaving the kitchen wall down to the bottom of trench and up the other side until the garage.

Also looked into getting 1m lengths of trace heating with a inline thermostat and running it down both ends to the bottom of trench, maybe over kill but nice piece of mind in the winter.

When you say water proof lagging, is this simply lagging which will not hold water at all. Or does it actually create a complete seal/barrier stopping any water touching the pipe ? Also taping it up well ? Do you mean just to affix it in place on the pipe or should this also stop water and be a complete seal?

Thanks again

5. Cross90

Cross90 New Member

Core drilling at an angle may be an option, good shout thanks. I will look into it.

Thanks!

6. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Armaflex is waterproof lagging, most plumbers merchants stock it,Buy it to the size of pipe your using.
    The normal tublflex lagging you get for lofts will absorb water and itself freeze in bad conditions
    This is probably the best stuff on the market.
    https://www.pipelagging.com/product...oor-and-Underground-Pipe-Insulation-1m-Length

KIAB likes this.