Megaflo about to explode?!

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Rystar00, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Rystar00

Rystar00 Member

Hi guys,

You were so incredibly helpful with a boiler issue I had last year that I thought I'd ask come back and see if I could benefit again from your kind and generous advice.

The issue I have at the moment is as follows:

• I have a megaflo in my basement which is below ground level.
    • I don't have an expansion vessel (when I was worried about this the engineer said there is an internal expansion bubble but I'm not sure I believe him!)
    • I have a pump connected to the PRV valve which pumps water out to ground level.

Originally the pump would come on a couple of times a day. However it is now going off about once an hour.

There is a steady drip of water from the megaflo to the pump tank. The pump tank has a 5 litre capacity and presumably there is a switch that triggers the pumping when it reaches a certain level.

Should I be worried that the pump seems to be going off more frequently? I attach pictures for reference.

Attached Files:

2. Can't answer all your Qs, but...

a) There shouldn't be any discharge from that PRV in normal use. Discharge = fault. (Possibly a simple one, possible more serious)

b) I cannae see a pressure gauge anywhere - is there one? I cannot imagine any such a sealed and pressurised system that does NOT have a pressure gauge and equally does not have an expansion vessel (but, yes, the main cylinder could very well have the vessel built in - they usually do).

c) You should be able to safely open that PRV tank's lid - I'm pretty certain it's open to atmosphere so no risk. Then you can monitor what's happening inside. And what should be happening inside is bluggerall. There should be no water in there if the system is working fine. Your pump should never have to come on...

d) You megaflo ain't going to blow up. :)

(I'm pretty sure that's all correct - but I ain't as GasSafe...:rolleyes:)

3. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    One of the safety devices is active, need to get it checked out

Regards
    Peter

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  4. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

DA, you don't have to be gas safe to fit a megaflo/unvented cylinder. All you need is a G3 ticket.
    Besides, if you are a stingy builder, you can fit it yourself (if you consider yourself as being competent to do so), then get local building control officer to check out the installation and either pass or fail it.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  5. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Air bubble in expansion vessel, internal, needs repressurizing. There is an instruction panel on the cylinder. Water is escaping cos of that. Used to have one, have to do it , once ,twice a yr.

6. Daniel Cwp

Daniel Cwp New Member

More than likely a faulty TPRV, causing water to drip through the tundish and filling the condensate pump.