metal/glass mosaic - first time diy advice needed

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by seneca196, Sep 30, 2016.

1. seneca196

seneca196 Member

Hello,
    Never attempted a mosaic before, so thought I'd seek some advice. Only having used mosaic in the regular tile format (same as tiles, but patterned) around the house, I fancy a go at a "proper" mosaic stripe and column in the bathroom. I've really gone in at the deep end with my first attempt! The metal bricks are not capped tile pieces, but actual solid aluminum section that have been polished. Here's what a sample looks

IMG_1078.JPG IMG_1080.JPG

What I planned to do was create an empty space/strip of 10cm between the regular tiles (400X150 stacked white gloss 10mm thick) and edge with metal trim. Once tiling is complete, then fix the mosaic (8mm thick) into the space.
    I need to make list of things I'll need (adhesive, grout etc) in order to get the best results I can (for a novice!) I thought I could use a metal cutting blade in a grinder to cut any sections, but unsure about glass, so trying to avoid cuts.
    As I'll be doing it myself I don't mind spending a bit extra on materials if I get a better result and make the job a bit easier. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

2. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I've just fitted glass mosaics. A diamond tile cutter wheel cuts glass no problem - I don't think you will cut it with a grinder. The ally prob will cut with diamond tile cutter - never tried it. I had to put 8mm thick mosaic alomgside 10mm tiles so obviously a thick bed of adhesive. What I did was use a grouting gun http://www.screwfix.com/p/p-c-cox-ultrapoint-pointing-grouting-gun/79243?_requestid=507333 to squirt beads of adhesive exactly in line with the mosaic and then use a straight edge to push the mosaic into place. Slightly tricky to gauge the right amount of adhesive, and as I happened to be using grey, I didn't want any squidging out. This method worked for me.

3. seneca196

seneca196 Member

A week on and the best advice I've had has been from you helpful folk. What is it with tile and adhesive manufacturers that they daren't recommend any product or give advice on anything? Even the tile manufacturer won't endorse a particular brand and they produced the tile. You'd think they would have tested it, and if so, would have used an adhesive to fix it at some point. Maybe it's not wanting to put their neck on the line and be held responsible? Or possibly, fearing I am a novice DIYer assume I will mess it up and blame them? Regardless, I will just go with the recommendations here. I have decided to go with Mapei keraflex maxi S1 (white) as the adhesive and Mapei Keracolour SF (white) as grout (Thanks Miss Tiler!)
    I have decided to do all the main tiles (400x150) with it too. Decided I would just use the same adhesive for everything and not bother with any ready mix. Just mix an amount each evening and finish it - start again next evening. I can't find any mention to it being suitable for glass and metal mosaics in any tech sheet, but will assume it is (fingers crossed - pinning my hopes on your expertise Miss Tiler!)
    The thing that does concern me is the metal part of the mosaic bonding well. With it being a U shaped profile with only a thin lip to bond on either edge, and a hollow cavity inside, I am worried it will not have enough area to actually adhere to the cement. Especially as I can press it inwards too much with the risk of adhesive oozing through. But then, if it oozed through into the cavity inside the metal that would be good. For this reason I may now thinking mosaic mesh may not be a good idea, as it will mean even less contact between mosaic and adhesive. I know, I know, I am obsessing too much over it, but hey that's me. As per always, any advice is welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Is there a chance of the metal rusting? Also, water getting in the hollow sections?

5. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

That adhesive will be fine for everything. The mosaics won't fall out once they're grouted in.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I've used those aluminium profiles as a border between tiles in my shower, approx 25mm wide

Used Bal Greenstar onto tile backer board. I filled the hollow section with tile adhesive, then pressed into notched ady on wall
    Used mapei powdered grout

Been up around 8 years and shower is used every day - never had a problem

7. seneca196

seneca196 Member

Aluminium won't rust koolpc, so fine on that front. DIYDave, which ady did you press into the hollow section? DId you just smear it over the entire back with a trowel or something? Did you let it dry first of push the wet mosaic with adhesive onto a bed of adhesive on the wall? Didn't it come throught the gaps? MrRusty's idea with the pointing gun sounded interesting, but because of the hollows I would prefer to smear over the entire back with the keraflex, so it fill the hollows, but am worried it will ooze through the 2mm gaps.

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi Seneca

I used Bal Greenstar and filled the hollow ali section completely, then levelled off with a scraper/float..... whatever

Using same ady, prepared a section of wall with a bed of tile ady and 2mm notched float, layed tiles and ali sections as I went. If an excess of ady oozes out, then just clean out as you go, use a scraper, nail, tile spacer, etc, then a wipe with a damp sponge. Recheck tile is level, proceed

As with all tiling it's the pre planning and setting out which is mega important

Then as your working, keep checking the tiles, level, square, no lippage, keep clean and tidy and wipe off any excess ady as you go

Tiling is fun and rewarding as a diy'er as long as everything is planned and thought about, little errors are noticed and corrected along the way, methodical work method and aim for a high standard finish - go for it, you can do this ......:).

Attached Files:

seneca196 likes this.
  9. seneca196

seneca196 Member

Thanks DIYDave. Love your go for it attitude (even though you sound like you've done so much DIY, you're a pro!) You'll be my inspiration.....or downfall afterwards.

10. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

Mosaic is a utter nightmare. Its like trying to lay marbles in your hand if your a novice.

Best advice is get a mosaic backer which is self adhesive. Available at your tile shop. The result will transform your tiling look from novice to professional at very little extra cost. As a diy'er I wish I discovered this backer years ago. It made my recent job so much easier doing a cloakroom.

With mosaic you also have to watch your grout lines matching up with neighbouring tiles of different size so make sure you plan if this will matter.

https://www.crowntiles.co.uk/30x30-..._2-36D5UH12aqvvHqZ7DRh4b1kiJHLQhwkaAmid8P8HAQ

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Ha ha that puts the pressure on me somewhat so thanks mate :eek:

Great satisfaction in carrying out some DIY in our own properties and yeah, done loads over 30 + years but hey, learning all the time

This site is great for info, I'm asking all the time and like to give a little back when I feel it's valid

As your doing, plan and research first, have all necessary tools and equipment ready to hand, and feel confident in what your about to undertake. Try not to over think or procrastinate too much, evaluate the job complexities, do some research, materials, spare time...... now crack on mate and get these tiles on the wall we wanna see them :D

12. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

:):):)

This is why I love this forum. You learn about things!! Never heard of this but will def use for my next mosaic project.