Methylated Spirits uses?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by C Windsor General Builder, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Had a look online and cant seem to find a straight answer, i got given a big bottle of meths and wanted to know if it can be used to clean oil based paint out of brushes off hands etc?

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

No, It will clean brushes used for Zinsser BIN or knotting, ball point stains off things, clean glass, clean excessive grout off the front of tiles, clean up prior to applying silicone, kill woolly aphids on plants, and remove some kinds of sticky label adhesive, but not oil based paints :p:p

3. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

You can use it to gas-up your Tilley light or paraffin blow-lamp :D

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Could always drink it, then you wouldn't care what it does or doesn't do. :p:p:p

meths.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  5. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Oo! Oo! and we used to put it in washer bottles to stop them freezing before screen washer fluid got technical!

Feel free to add :)

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It will also thin shellac based varnishes.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's basically ethanol that is made to taste nasty.

8. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

its good to use in the windscreen washer bottle, not a lot mind,

a bloke goes into a chemist shop, he's a bit scruffy and asks for a bottle of meths, the assistant refuses him as she thinks he wants it to drink,
    " My good lady, I hope you're not refusing me on the grounds of my appearance, I'll have you know that I've bought my son a steam engine for his birthday today, he's ten years old today and it was his wish to have this steam engine, we could not afford it last year as his mother was on chemo theropy and the bus fares to the city every week left us struggling, Since she died i have done my best to save every penny, i've done without food and new clothes to make sure my son got this steam engine this year, now he's gonna be dissapointed not to get it running," and begins to walk out of the chemists, " please sir," shouts the assistant" here please take this bottle from me as a gift to your son" and hands the man a bottle of meths, " oh thank you kind lady," as the man walks towards the assistant and gets hold of the bottle he asks, " have you got a cold one?" :)

9. Bugger oh well just didnt want to buy more white spirit if you could use meths, luckily my friendly local mechanic keeps a couple gallon of screenwash ready mixed and i just top up when i pop in for a coffee :)

10. Biffo

Biffo Member

aids in the cutting of laminated glass

Jitender likes this.
  11. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Seen them cut glass in a glaziers a long time back, they used meths to dissolve the plastic in laminated glass.

13. Also wanted the fuel bottle it was in to keep white spirit in as the cheap bottles it comes in tend to split if something hits it in the back of the van, so i poured the meths into an old water bottle so i could use the bottle
    Trangia-Fuel-Bottle__52971_zoom.jpg
    Oh and TomPlum i keep meaning to ask have you got a brother who lives in cornwall have you? as theres a bloke round my way whos the spit of you

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015