Microbore - is this a solution to ugly pipework?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Harryman, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Harryman

Harryman Member

I want to improve our ugly and inefficient ch. Ground floors are solid so pipes drop down from the first floor to all rads. Horrible!
    Re-routing downstairs would be tricky because of boiler location and doorways - could I use microbore which would be easier to hide or box in? Would the whole system need a redesign? Is m'bore any good anyway?

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Not a fan of microbore myself, easy to block almost impossible to unblock, looks pants as you have the same size valve as normal with ugly adaptors and you can never get it dead straight . I would rather see a die straight bit of 15mm than a wavy line of microbore down the wall.

koolpc, KIAB and Dave does Gas like this.
  3. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Im in the same boat as Teabreak, Microbore is the scourge of heating systems.

4. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Polished copper pipe (15mm) and munsen rings it it were me. Make a feature of it.

KIAB likes this.
  5. Harryman

Harryman Member

Did that on our canal boat and it looks good - but not sure OH wants even more copper to polish ;-)

6. Harry, if you think microbore will sort your problems, then fill yer socks.

You shouldn't have an issue with blockages - provided your system is clean.

But, how will it help? How can you hide, say, 10mm pipe better than 15mm?

7. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

I did a load of microbore work on an old house in the West Country, horrendous stuff! I'd rather box in 15mm pipe than use mb again.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

How I hate microbore, a nightmare when it blocks, impossible to unblock.:mad:

9. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Micro bore 8mm no way. But small bore 10mm should be fine, deburr the cut pipe ends. Fit inside some trunking and it will look fine and work perfectly

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

There are alternatives - I have put in Thermaskirt, which not only hides the pipework but can remove the need for radiators. Some profiles are designed for period / restoration projects.

11. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    How about take it all out, and get a log fire?

Then just wear warmer clothes at home, bit like it was when I was a kid!

Great childhood

Regards
    Peter

Dave does Gas, longboat and KIAB like this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And a nice thick feather eiderdown for the cold winter nights, in the morning you find ice on the inside of the windows, great childhood.:)

longboat and kiaora like this.
  13. kiaora

kiaora Guest

And if you told the kids today, they wouldn't believe you !

Regards
    Peter

1948 vintage

KIAB likes this.
  14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Yep no heating upstairs in those days, although houses had bedroom fires with flues, the fires were never lit unless you were really ill.

15. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Remember getting out of bed and putting bare feet on cold lino!

16. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

Don't forget having to get out of the bath in winter with no heating, and getting the hot water in the kitchen from an Ascot (and standing back until it ignited!)

17. Harryman

Harryman Member

You had a bath?!

18. kiaora

kiaora Guest

I was waiting for this,

A bath? You were lucky, we only wad a tin tub in front of fire!

19. Harryman

Harryman Member

To warm up after a trip to the outside toilet ;)

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Ascot!:eek:

We only had a little Ideal fire (same as below)with back boiler for hot water, no radiators.:(
    One day after putting coal in fire, it blew up, boiler was in several pieces, made right mess of dinning room, fire brigade found a few detonators mixed in with coal.:)
    We then got a Parkray fire:eek:, a bit posher than old boiler.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017