Microbore reducer - How does the reducer stay sealed to microbore

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Desperate Daniel, May 1, 2016.

1. Desperate Daniel

Desperate Daniel New Member

my heating is 8mm microbore and I'm fitting new radiator. The new Danfoss valves have the appropriate reducers to 8mm. So far so good.

I'm looking at theses reducers and..... although I understand how the reducer's flared end connects into the valve however, how on earth does the 8mm pipe stay sealed tight into the 8mm end of the reducer? I'm expecting to see an 8mm olive but there isn't one. Should there be?

Could someone kindly outline in steps how to fit the 8mm to the reduced end?

Thanks in advance,
    Desperate Daniel

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

There is I'm sure a 8mm compression olive, haven't used 8mm in years, hate it.:)

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  3. Desperate Daniel

Aha! So there should be an olive! There wasn't one so a trip back to screwfix I guess.
    Thanks for the reply.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Not used a Danfoss 8mm, but think your supposed to tighten it up. The grove running around on the brass reducer apparently splits, then another 1/4-1 turn should stop the pipe from swiveling. Don't over tighten though.

5. Desperate Daniel

Ah! I seem to remember someone saying, "tighten it until you hear it crack and no more"
    Does that sound about right?
    So no olive then?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Same here never used Danfoss, so most likey different to standard ones.

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Found this so may be right.

KIAB likes this.
  8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Slightly counter intuitive, but have faith. Hate micro bore too, usually convert to 15mm.tails if accessible/have the time.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

DD - Did it work?