Miele Dishwasher - Repair or Replace

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by wingit, Nov 5, 2014.

1. wingit

wingit Member

Our kitchen has an integrated Miele dishwasher fitted by previous owners and it must be about 10 years old. Not sold any longer but I found a few old websites suggesting a cost of about £900-1000 (blimey!!!). Local engineer has found that the circulating pump has failed and will cost about £300 to replace. He can source and fit a top of the range Bosch for around £540. This seems a lot to me for a dishwasher (let alone £900!) but it is in an open plan kitchen/dining area and noise level is very important. The Miele was 42db and the Bosch 41db .. so fine.

What thoughts .. invest £300 in a £1000, 10 year old machine or dump and plump for the £540 Bosch?

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Try ringing Domestic and General for a quote, They can do a repair and cover service, they should be able to provide you with a quotation over the phone. don't mention about the other quote.

Miele are very good machines, expensive I know but they are solidly built. On the other hand at work there is a Bosch dishwasher which has been there a very long time (9+ years), gets used every weekday, and has never had a problem.

How many years guarantee is does the Bosch come with?

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

4. wingit

wingit Member

2 years parts and labour

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Always makes me wonder with diagnoses like this: The circulation pump has failed.

Does that mean it is dead? Or blocked? Scaled up? Wire come off? Air in pipe?

What is failed, and can it be fixed instead of replaced?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I take it all the other functions work, but the pump isn't circulating that water around to wash the cutlery.

Try this

Worth a try, people have used a modified dessert spoon or hanger instead of buying the hook tool.

7. wingit

wingit Member

Thanks handy and gangar, the original fault was the machine blowing the house main circuit breaker and it was found that the tray under the dishwasher was full of water. When this was dried up and after about three days the machine stopped blowing the breaker but was not circulating. Engineer suggested the pump was leaking to cause the water in the base tray and maybe the bearings rusted/seized.

I'll try a hangar and see what happens. If I can get it to circulate that may allow the source of leak to be found.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Some of those pumps are rated at 3.0 amp, so if its tripping the main fuse, I would suggest to see if it can be taken out and stripped to find any blockages.There are reconditioned pumps available fro e-bay.Does the machine perform the other function?

9. wingit

wingit Member

Thanks gangar .. I think I'll get the machine on it's back and see if I can get the pump out to see what sort of condition it is in. There is little to lose?

Thanks all.