Milwaukee drills reliability

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by peter palmer, Jul 21, 2016.

1. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Has anyone else had problems with gearboxes in Milwaukee drills? We have had a 3 or 4 over the years and the gearbox has just packed up for the second time on a combi drill, probably had it a couple of years. We opted for the heavy duty version this time as the last one broke for the same reason.

I wouldn't mind if it was the batteries that died or the trigger burned out but it is showing the exact same symptoms as the last drill, I know a window fitter whos gear box packed up on his Milwaukee drill as well. OR is 2 years not too bad for a drill to last, I was drilling a joist with a 32mm flat bit at the time, it seems to have lasted longer than other makes in the past.

On the other hand, all the batteries, some of which are 4 or 5 years old are still like new, so what do we get next, another Milwaukee as we have loads of batteries and chargers or something completely different?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Can you buy a bare Milwaukee as you already have the batteries?..........between a rock and a hard place!

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Bosch Blue are the bees knees tbqh..:)

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Have Bosch Blue here, got an asssorment of their kit, & a very Bosch old cordless drill with Ni Cad, must be 10 years old, still going, orginal battery is starting to loose it's charge now, but drill still perfect.

5. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Personally I think they are pushing the boundaries too far with cordless drills,I have never heard one going through a joist with a big bit that sounded ok,they all sound like they're struggling.obviously if you look at a mains drill the gearbox is bigger,is has to be to have the strength,a smaller gearbox is always going to be weaker unless you use different materials which will be more expensive.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Using stubby bits help, but some cordless drills struggle, got a ancient makita mains angled drill for joist work.

7. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

I had one of them,brutal if it grabbed,got a hilti now,it has a clutch on it a cracking piece of kit.I use those "woodbeaver" bits,they're so much kinder on the machine than a traditional auger bit.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very good those Beaver bits, got a few of them, also using Bosch Blue flat spade bits I got free.:rolleyes:
    Also got some Irwin 6X Blue Groove Stubby Wood Bits, a nice bit, but you need a good mains drill to use them, tried my cordless but, it struggles.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016