Mind the gap between the laminate and the door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jangoo#B, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Jangoo#B

Jangoo#B New Member

Hi,

I've just completed my laminate flooring install and I've ended up with a massive gap between the end of the flooring and the beginning of my upvc door. It's pretty big as you can see in the pictures below

image1 - Copy.JPG image2 - Copy.JPG

I don't know why I didn't pull up the previous threshold and install closer to door. But hey ho.

Any ideas how I could bridge this gap?

I've been looking at thresholds, by they are not wide enough. You can see I'll need at least 220mm width.

Cheer J#B

2. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Just make one?
    Out of real oak or make laminate, with surface of oak, and green MDF with PU ("Gorrila" or tubed gummy, not fast) adhesive.
    If, as it looks like you are already tight for thickness, make a bull nosed, rebated over the top of laminate way proud (IE 1") threshold.
    Laminate looks like imitation of American oak, Champions do stock them and it is not that expensive ;)

3. Jangoo#B

Jangoo#B New Member

was thinking to make one out of MDF and paint it white to match the skirting. Seen it at a mates new build flat.

But I like the sound of oak on top of MDF, I think I can squeeze it in. How thick do you think the oak should be? baring in mind there will be a rebate over the top of the laminate

4. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

As above but maybe use a threshold strip to join onto existing. With the same flooring, run widthways across the door, it would look quite neat.

5. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

Not the best look, also, in the space given, it'll be hard to make solid enough of an platform for laminate.... ?
    Real oak is vicious thing... I'd say with dimensions as given, If to go with 18mm green MDF, you can make "sandwitched" upper part of 22mm(finish) oak plank
    or ...
    Just fill inn (make perfectly) flat-level MDF platform and use bull nosed oak of any size on the top, as long as you screw and plug almost any size of as you like, (just use PU glue) sticking it.

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You'll want it at least thick enough to cover the line of the cill on your French doors, so probably an inch or so in thickness, maybe slightly more.

7. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Fill it with screed, when dried, slap a plank of 15mm oak on it, overlapping laminate about 15mm, chamferred edge.

AlvyChippy likes this.
  9. Philde

Philde Member

I looks like the section of mortar between inner brick/blockwork and door frame is part of the below damp course build so could be a source of rising damp if so.

10. stubber1

stubber1 New Member

The door is on the outer course of the cavity the cavity has been filled albeit badly going by the pictures and the inner course just needs the dpc cutting back.
    Where is the rising damp you speak of going to rise too ?
    If it was me for my piece of mind I would dig out the infill and put fresh concrete in with lashings of waterproofer and leave it slightly low to maintain an air gap across the cavity