Minimum Height Of Consumer Unit?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by JP., Oct 7, 2014.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Morning guys - just a quick question. Is there any minimum height stipulation for a CU? My house is not a new build and I envisage that the floor to bottom of CU height will be 550mm. Normally would never ask this type of question, however my re-wire is subject to inspection by a 2nd party. Thanks guys.

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Height stipulations not applicable to re-wires JP, just like sockets/switches etc.

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Sen - appreciated m8.

4. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hi JP. New-build houses are wired to the Part M guidance of installing all accessories, including the CU, between 450 mm underside and 1200 mm top. As Sen said there is no requirement to apply this to existing installations that have been rewired. However, on some rewires that I have carried out, the customer has requested me to lower it for ease of access. It does make sense to me tbh that CUs should be lower down as having to climb steps to reach them is a PITA and its always more user friendly to be able to work on one when standing on the floor instead of perched on steps. :)

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Un - must admit I have seen those CU's where you have to use a stepladder to operate it/work on it etc--definitely not ideal. As Sen, all appreciated Un.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Surely, up there you don't need a lock, down there you do?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I have never yet found a CU that is locked, Andy.

8. sams

sams Member

ive often wondered how many of the new builds get away with it, you often see the consumer unit in the ground floor WC at ceiling height

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

They "get away with it" because there's nothing at all wrong with it!

10. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Just done a new build the consumer was near ceiling height it was accepted as the unit was in a laundry room.

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I can never understand why some consumer units are fitted nigh on ceiling height - its no joke messing about with stepladders to do stuff on these. There must be a reason for fitting them that height Flat but I sure as heck don't know what it is. But at the end of the day as Sen sais if it complies then I suppose that's just the way it is..so no reg breaches fitting the said cu.

12. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I'd rather be fitting or working on one at ceiling height than the usual ones I get, in a dark and dirty cupboard under the stairs with all manner of junk in front of and around it!
    How's your job coming along JP?

13. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

It was in the days when I was a kid jp, we had no toys so a fuse box would have been like pandora's box. Lid off sticky little fingers all over the insides...... So maybe it was to keep it away from the likes of me and all others with similar probing sticky digits.

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hi Sen. Yes everything is ok - cu is ready for wiring so will get round to it next week. Thanks Sen.

15. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

The other end of the spectrum is consumer units at waist height in the middle of the room!
    I was in a house the other day where the consumer unit was about 850 from the floor and smack in the middle of the path from the porch to the staircase. It was installed directly opposite the meter cupboard.

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Some people fit magnolia coloured cu's Fats - it blends in with the barley white, a subtle two tone effect.

FatHands likes this.
  17. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

I have never fitted a CU at 1200mm, just too damn dangerous for kiddies to climb up on the Ike step and start meddlin'

If we have a care home, then that denotes a bit of savvy.

18. FatHands

and somewhere to put the television and hi-fi remotes mate! :eek:

19. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Prefer em high up me sen.

Also always fit a £15 EM Fitting directly above CU so user has light in the even of a Power cut! :cool:

FatHands likes this.
  20. FatHands

something like this Sine?