Minimum putty depth

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by thedavidm, Apr 27, 2015.

1. thedavidm

thedavidm New Member

Hello all.

I'm just about to re-glaze an old casement window that has cracked 2mm glass. It seems that I can only get 4mm now as a minimum. The question is - the glass at the moment sits in a rebate and the putty depth is 10mm. If I use 4mm glass, then the putty will only be 8mm deep. Would this be ok? Most putty states minimum depth 10mm. I guess I'm worrying over nothing?!

Any glaziers out there? Must be a common thing.

Thanks for looking

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's only about 5/64", can't see a problem, as you usually use glazing sprigs to hold in glass before puttying window.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You should be able to get 3mm easily but as said pin the glass first.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You can still get 2mm glass, but it's used mainly for picture frame glazing nowadays.

Float glass which is used for windows, picture frames, is readly available in 2mm,3mm & 4mm, plus other thicknesses.

Agree with Chippie, go with 3mm.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I wouldn't fancy fitting 2mm though if you were new to glazing.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Even fitting 3mm you have to be gentle with, it's very unforgiving & will crack if your heavy handed with bedding it:rolleyes:.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

That's never happened to me Guv :rolleyes::rolleyes:

8. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

I once replaced 4mm with 6mm as it was a large window.
    As has been said the sprigs locate it.
    If you put a thick bead of putty in the frame and then push the glass in carefully so that all the back of the frame where the glass is covered in putty.
    Then tap your sprigs in carefully with a pin hammer sliding on the face of the glass.
    I think the glazing company allows an eighth of an inch all round so that when you compete the bevel on the front the glass is encased in a "U" section of putty and this together with the sprigs keep the glass in the frame.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

How about just buying hardwood glazing beads insted of using putty, they come in various styles. You will then be able to paint and finish much more quickly.

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Or rout and chisel out a couple of mill off the inner bead section of the rebate.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. thedavidm

thedavidm New Member

Thank you all for your time on this. I'll see if I can get 3mm.