Mirco bore and powerflush

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dave Chorley, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Dave Chorley

Dave Chorley New Member

Hi all, im after some advise on a job i went to price today. the curent set up is a convensional c/h system, three port valve heat only open vented, 8mm mirco bore. the landlord wants wants to put a combi and put the rent up obviously.
    The problem being i have been and had a look and the tenant said that when he moved in 4 years ago that engineer couldnt issue a gas safe cert he couldnt get the system running. the pump was seized up and boiler woudnt light.
    There fore the tenant agreed to pay cheaper rent and just use the emersion heater. the property is a 3rd flat and pretty much all the mircobore is in the concrete floor !
    i recently got into installation etc as i was more breakdowns and call outs prevoiusly. Obviously the system needs to be power flushed or magna cleansed but im concerned that the manifold and rad valves would be damaged by the process. last thing i want is have to do is dig a ***** manifold out the concrete floor.
    if i powerflush it would only be with cold water as the boiler isnt working and chemicals wouldnt be as effective at low temp. or do i try and convince the landlord to re pipe the c/h system. which ever is more cost effective in the long run.

thoughts please ????

Last edited: Nov 25, 2014
  2. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Most landlords will want to spend as little as possible, hence the tenent hasn't had heating for four yrs.
    My advice to you would be how much work do you have on,because problems will come to you without taking them on.;)

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I agree with PB, landlords are in it to make money, they always choose the cheapest way, long term effectiveness is not one of thier by words, :(

4. I thought power-flush machines had a heater in them?!

Oh well.

I think what I would suggest to the landlord is that a power-flush is pretty much essential due to the age of the system, the use of small bore pipes and that fact that it seems to have packed up by itself in the past...

BUT, you need to explain that power-flushing can sometimes expose damaged or corroded pipework when all the crude is cleaned away from inside, and you CANNOT be held responsible for this should a leak happen. Ie - it ain't the power-flush wot causes the leak, but removing the crude will sometimes expose a leak which was just being blocked by the sludge.

On the basis he accepts this proviso, you can proceed...