Miss Pickle blog - Third time lucky.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by miss pickle, Aug 6, 2015.

1. miss pickle

miss pickle Well-Known Member

Well I might be a lot of things but a quitter isn't one of them :p

Try again shall we :rolleyes: due to this being a work blog there will be plenty of pics of the good the bad and the ugly work. I do appreciate it is of little interest to anyone bar me, but I am familiar with the site and the posters and I really don't want to go on another site and start the whole newbie process again. There is always a block button :) and I will stay away from the rest of the threads. I will from time to time create my own threads on bits and bobs but I will stick to those as opposed to giving input on somebody else's.
    My work will be incredibly easy to mock and poke fun at but I do hope any viscous comments are kept to a minimum. I am after all only human. We all know I am more than capable of giving it back, but it gets a tad exhausting and can get rather unpleasant. I am well aware of my faults. We all have them :)
    I will however always appreciate any constructive criticism and advice if anyone fancies popping in from time to time.
    I am at the end of the day just another middle aged single mother trying to do the best I can to get by. I have invested a fair amount in tools, paints and materials so I have to run with it now and do the best I can!
    Maybe it will all turn out to be just a daft dream that fails, but I won't be going down without a fight. The only goal is to keep my head above water doing something interesting that I enjoy. I'm sure I will improve over time:D

2. What happened to the other 'blogs'?

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I like your ramblings, not sure if that's the right word, but can't think of any other.
    Sadly what ever forum you get on, you'll alway get critism good & bad, & they can get very unpleasant & sometimes personal, how it is dealt with is down to the mods, but you become thick skinned & don't let it get you down.

4. miss pickle

They got a big long and went a bit off topic :D I think the blame for that should be placed firmly at my own door though :rolleyes: I have been a little pickle but I will be more sensible now. I'm going to work hard and get focused again.

5. miss pickle

Thank you kiab. :) I think this is by far the best site for me. Couldn't imagine being on another one now. Reckon I only got what I deserved anyhow. :D
    Not quite sure why I went off the rails for a week but I've pulled myself together and its back to the grindstone now :)
    Could do with a bit of sunshine though :( it makes life far easier! :)

6. Oh, ok then - I'll make sure the sun peeps out at regular intervals throughout the day.

I'll put a hold on the rain too.

'Sokay, don't mention it.

7. proby

proby Active Member

You do ramble just a tad:) but then everybodys different, as for work your in the right place. Plenty on here for advice you seem to have taken exception to something Astra posted but if you want advice on all things to do with painting he's the man just ask:)

8. miss pickle

Tee hee :D lol sorry ;)
    Yes that would be a blessing. I'm dreading the winter to be honest but I think I'm going to have to make sure I've finished with the oil paints by then. Its going to have to be water based in the winter months. Drying time:rolleyes: ventilation:rolleyes: shorter days, dark by four, artificial light.
    I'm also going to have to get rid of what's here pretty quick and then move on to smaller items due to storage room and transport. One big learning curve.
    If I'm not seeing some sort of profit on the items by the end of October though then I'm sunk anyhow. That's my deadline. I also need good weather to sell it! I can only really afford small open air pitches.
    Please pop in along the way dev if you get chance. Thank you :)

9. miss pickle

Yes, him and Andy tend to give very good painting advice which I read religiously. There is also a lot of pride in work on this site which I like.

10. miss pickle

One more post then I'm off to my shed for the rest of the day.
    The stencils have turned out a nightmare. Disaster:( bled like billyo :mad:
    I left the paint to dry before I removed the stencil and the bleed is horrendous. I used a sponge since I was having a nightmare with a brush.
    Two items need re-doing.
    One item I have taken a chance on leaving coz I think it looks quite cute by accident. I don't know why I like it lol I just do. Its a little tiny coffee table painted blue and I used a "chateau" stencil with black paint. After the bleed I attacked it with turps and lightly sanded and its left an effect that is like the old brass rubbings :) its quite unusual and certainly won't be to everybody's taste but I think a few quirky people might like it so I will take it off to market and see what happens. I'm saving the spray gun for water based paint. I'm also going to try a few things freestyle. Trial and error :oops:

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

How are you do the stencilling, there are proper stencilling brushes, better to build up in layers than try to do it all in one coat.:)

12. miss pickle

I just used a sponge. I was very careful and took my time. Oh my little face when I took the stencil off two days later :( I was gutted :D
    I should have picked easier stencils as well. I've gone for quite intricate ones :rolleyes: I am a fool.
    I will look up some proper stencil brushes then :) and have a practice on spare wood.
    I should of practiced more o_O they make it look so easy on you tube :eek:
    I was also wondering about a painting stencil pen for when I come to do my writing for the signs. There is always so much error with my trials though lol far worse than with most other people I think :D I do not possess much natural talent I'm afraid :confused:

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  14. miss pickle

Thank you kiab. I will try with a brush.
    The videos I had previously watched were people successfully using sponges and rollers but that clearly isn't working for me smiley-confused013.gif
    Thank god for you tube though eh? Its a fantastic tool for peeps without a clue like me.

Builders are 3 doors up doing a loft extension and they have got the big tools out today.
    Noise, dust and bad language blowing a good un in the wind :( I will go back out at 5 or 6pm when they go home.
    Not much fun indoors either :rolleyes: the teens are squabbling in the kitchen over how best to make a chicken sandwich of all things. My girl decided she wanted to make us all lunch. Its a rare occasion so I gladly accepted :) I have however heard the words "mummm how do I ?" about ten times in the last half hour. I have also rescued the avocado from her before either it or she was mutilated by the knife she was waving about :confused: hard to believe she does food tech GCSE :rolleyes:

15. miss pickle

I've kept a good neat record of my accounts. I was shockingly bad at this as a freelance horse groom and dog groomer but I had no worries as I had a ton of phone numbers if needed to clarify my work! This however is a different kettle of fish and I need to be organised :mad:

End of month July :

Outgoing : £593.61

Incoming : Zero

Needless to say a big fat gulp, several tears, a lorry load of despair, blind panic and a few glasses of wine were involved. Not that you lot would of known, since I used my usual avoidance tactics.
    But underneath it all lays the same miss pickle who can see past all that. I've always been the same and thankfully I am one of life's fighters and survivors :D a bit of a pitbull but better looking ;)
    It has to work and work it will. I'll make damn sure of it.

I've brought my girl up to believe that you can achieve anything you want if you work hard enough and believe for long enough. A strong mind and heart is mostly all that's required.
    One day I'm gonna come on this blog and put my market photos up and I'm gonna be proud :D and I'm gonna come home with cash in my pocket :) and that's a promise.

16. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

O dear, Miss P getting all serious on us, what ever will we do.

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

18. miss pickle

I'm sorry, do I know you? :eek:

19. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

20. miss pickle

I have to let you go phil o_O your married. It wouldn't be right :eek:
    As lovely as you are, you are a bad influence sometimes :rolleyes:
    I'm not sure I'd want to be that wife that logged on and read all the carp.
    I think maybe we or I crossed the moral line.
    I'm very fond of you. Which is a bit bonkers really :confused: but yes I did always look forward to your messages.
    That don't make it right though :(
    And I aint got time to be playing the bad girl does good banter no more. :(
    For starters it comes too easy and secondly I'm too old for all that now ;)
    I choose kiab.
    Rest in peace phil :D
    Still want the odd bedtime song though :oops: