Missing mortar on brickwork

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Crumbs, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

Hi, looking for some help

We are redorating one room for a home office, completely gutted it. On an outside wall, a crack in the plaster was present (around 50cm) so we took the plaster away there to then plan to fill later.

When taking it back, it fell away easily and the breeze blocks were exposed, what i am concerned about is the major lack of mortar in between the breeze blocks vertically, seems non existant in places and area of the crack passed this area of missing mortar.

I dont know much on brickwork and if this is normal or not but i am concerned why no mortar is present, in another room we found a similar thing. Large cracked plaster and underneath missing mortar. :eek::eek:

Is this ok does anyone know and if not, any ideas what can be done to help? Much appreciated:cool:

2. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

House was built in the 1970s ish
    Cheers

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

There is this thing with some brickies, if they know a wall is going to be plastered / rendered they don't bother too much with the perps (verticals) as they believe the plaster will fill it up for them. Completely the wrong attitude.

How many cracks to do you have in the walls ? if it is only a few you may be ok after all it has been there for nearly 40 years

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Some brickies can be rather slash dash with interior block work, as it's plastered over & out of sight.:(

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree 100%, I've always been a stickler for neat internal blockwork,even though it's going to be plastered over.

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

This says it all, the time of 3 day weeks and strikes left right and center, nobody was to bothered about quality back then. :(:(:(

KIAB likes this.
  7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

if you google "1970's Quality" not a lot comes up apart from upload_2016-9-15_20-34-42.png

Now there is fond memories

KIAB likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  9. benben5555

benben5555 Member

Point up any missing mortar before you replaster the wall. If the crack extends for and significant length you could also install heli-bar into the bed joint to stabilise the area

10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Same with Wagon Wheels..
    67c884b540b412f20ed12266cd483f60.jpg

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Was going to post something about 1970's hairstyle to today's but then saw the 1970's google images .........:oops:

12. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

whoaa 1980s was good at xmas time! look at that tin

cheers lads, not that fussed about it being missing if it doesnt cause any structural issues i guess, does it really cause issues if mortar is missing?.
    What i am concerned about a bit is on the vertical i posted about missing mortar, if i shine a light in, it looks like there is a hollow area inside!:mad: :eek::eek:

Its hard to see but certainly looks that way, design of the brick? Doesnt look like the bricks are staggered either which i thought was the norm.
    Ill try to post a picture in the morning:rolleyes:

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Is it the wall cavity you can see through the crack ?

14. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

I dont think so mate, looks like half a tennis ball has been taken out of the breeze block work if i shine a light in. Some pics attached, 2nd one with vertical gap, half way up behind that bit of mortar is a hallow area before the thickness of a breeze block, sorry if pictures are rubbish.

Is breeze block responsible for the main support? sorry if this is naive but a friend tells me that its really for ventilation and not for the support of the house but after seeing the state of this brickwork i am a little worried especially as the front of the house, has a crack similar but much longer. Both have been present for a couple of years but always thought it was just the plaster failing.

Should i fill this with anything that may help support rather than just fill over? advice much appreciated :D

Attached Files:

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Would you have a picture of the whole wall ? much easier to see it in context

16. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

17. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What's brickwork out side like on that corner, any cracks!

19. Crumbs

Crumbs Member

Just spoke to a friend builder, he tells me that our house was built as a row of houses and as its sandwiched inbetween houses (terraced) it is likely to move over many years and cracks are something that will happen due to the nature of how it was built and these days they are not built in this way to prevent such issues.

Outside, all i can see is a hair line crack in the mortar of the red brick, it follows the mortar down a little.

20. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

One of the things with cracks is that the source of the problem is normally at 90 degrees to the crack. If you follow that line at 90 degrees it points to the radiator or cables in the corner.

it looks like the block work was so poor that the hammer action fitting the rad or running the cables has disturbed the limited bond