Mist coat - too dilute?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Emilygrundy, Sep 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Emilygrundy

Emilygrundy New Member

Hi all,

Seems I have misunderstood the instructions left by my plasterer, as having just painted a mist coat on dry plaster of 80% water and 20% white matt emulsion, many of the forum posts I have seen are directing 80% paint 20% water....

Any tips about what I can do next? should I do another less dilute coat of the white before applying undiluted paint of chosen color?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

2. Tee hee :)

It won't have had any adverse affect (assuming the plaster hasn't fallen orf...) and in fact should marginally help to get that first coat better bonded on to the plaster.

Chust make sure it's bone dry before adding a properly diluted coat - as you say, it should be around 20% water.

Then a couple of coats of 'neat'.

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I use a 50/50 for the first coat, as long as your using a descent branded paint.

4. If, however, your paint has no descendants, don't bother.

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::p:p:p

6. Emilygrundy

Emilygrundy New Member

Thanks for the reassurance - plaster is still in place, so will plough on with another rather less diluted coat.....:)

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I'd like to know how you got a 80 water / 20 paint mist coat on the wall in the first place ....... Must have made one hell of a mess !! :eek:

But as above, no damage done, easy mistake and no shame in that

8. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Probably no more mess than some of the decorators I have seen!

As said, no damage done, just redo with a correct 80:20.