Mitre saw advice

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jimmmy19, Jun 19, 2016.

?

Which mitre saw for the money

1. DWS774 (1400w) £210

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. DWS777 (1800w) £320

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Jimmmy19

Jimmmy19 New Member

Hello, I am after a new mitre saw for general use, I am looking at the DWS777 but have seen the DWS774 for £110 cheaper, both have XPS and a 216mm blade. The 774 is 1400w and the 777 is 1800w. Will I see much difference? I am trying to buy one saw that will last not another one a year or two down the line. Thanks in advance

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The choice of a mitre saw depends on the size of the timber you want to cut and the quality of the cut. Most people will not be cutting heavy hardwoods or anything exotic and mainly pine based timber so unless you are going to be cutting something bigger than a fence post, power shouldn't be an issue.

I had to look up what the XPS facility is - red line laser. I have a Dewalt saw and don't even turn mine on, I always line the cuts up manually (or use a stop) and the redline lasers don't work that well in bright sunshine.

The other factor is portability if you are going to be lugging the thing around with you, a bigger saw becomes a real pain when you are carrying it up and down steps and in and out of vehicles.

I have a high end Dewalt saw that I keep in the workshop which has a rough cut blade and I use a smaller Metabo saw with a finer cut blade that I take out with me.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Looks like some new ones they bought out.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Just looked a 62mm max cutting height could be quite limiting.

5. Jimmmy19

Jimmmy19 New Member

Thanks for the replies, they both have the same cutting depth but for a better depth the cost rises significantly for a 10/12 inch saw. Thanks

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

So the question is what are you planning to cut with it ?

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That XPS feature doesn't look like a laser, but more a light which creates a shadow.

Not sure how it would work outdoors in sunlight?

My Elektra did come with laser, but ended up removing it as failed, useful if doing large architraves but have managed without one.

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Same here, found the Dewalt light to be inaccurate as well.

The problem that the tool manufacturers have is that the tools now last a lot longer than they used to, so people aren't going to be buying new ones unless there is some fancy gadget that catches peoples attention.

Apart from Festool (and Sawstop) there is very little imagination or development in the tool world that would entice money out of peoples pockets.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Strange why Dewalt would produce such a limited machine, the little Metabo saw I have, can do a lot more than 65 depth.

Notied s Scheppach compound mitre in B&Q on the weekend for £60. Looked quite good although couldn't test how accurate it is.

11. Jimmmy19

Jimmmy19 New Member

I'm not 100% sure what it can actually cut as the dewalt website says a different figure to others (i know dewalt should be correct) but I don't understand how it can only cut 62mm? The gap under the guard looks much bigger. Thanks

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The mitre saw where I work a lot has the LED behind the blade and it works very well but that is in workshop conditions.

13. lavo-1

lavo-1 New Member

I have just bought a Metabo KGS 254M saw and for the price, it's just as good as the more expensive big name brands. I have had many Metabo power tools over the years as they where supplied by the German Appliance company I used to work for, so I'm confident they are quality tools.

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have an Elektra Beckum KGS 311 which is probably over 12 years old, I bought it second hand its very solid with very minimal plastic used, good as a stationary saw in workshop due to the weight induction motor (must weigh at least 30kg) I do feel that metabo have dropped in quality though.

For me the Dewalt saws stood out more rather than the Makita and Bosch ones, they just seem more engineered and better made.

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

De Walt mitre saws and routers are good, I wouldn't buy anything else off them though.

16. Kristenhicks

Kristenhicks New Member

Personally, I like mitre saw and especially Metabo KGS 305M is my favourite one.
    crystal clear about its unique nature and features and it offers the largest cutting capacity ever.If any of you needs more information then read this article
    https://toolsguru.co.uk/saw/best-mitre-saw/

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021