Mitre saw for obtuse and acute angles

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by lisamckeown, Dec 1, 2015.

1. lisamckeown

lisamckeown New Member

My house is a strange shape and i'm putting up coving and picture rails. Most if not all of the angles are either greater or smaller than 90 degrees. What type of mitre saw should I use for these types of angles?

2. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

It's more to do with the measuring rather than the cutting, measure the angles and cut the correct angles to fit your house it takes some skill to get good at it and isn't often done even by professionals but looks brilliant if you get it right, the new way is cut all at 90 then fill and pack when you need to (experience of new builds compared to old skilled building)

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[QUOTE="DNR Plumbing, post: 1384858, the new way is cut all at 90 then fill and pack when you need to (experience of new builds compared to old skilled building)[/QUOTE]
    :eek::(
    I'm old school, still use my Angle Finder protractor for transferring angles to set up my mitre saw for cutting, I must learn your new way[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  4. lisamckeown

lisamckeown New Member

Thanks for your replies. I can find my angle with my protractor etc but I cant cut the angles accurately by hand so thought id purchase a mitre saw but which one is best? They all seem to only have set angles that don't match the ones I need - or am I just being a bit dim????
    Some obtuse angles have massive gaps if cut at 90 degrees so packing isn't really an option in these cases as it looks rubbish. :(

5. DNR Plumbing

:eek::(
    I'm old school, still use my Angle Finder protractor for transferring angles to set up my mitre saw for cutting, I must learn your new way[​IMG][​IMG][/QUOTE]
    That's how it should be I've seen some bad work in modern new builds but after 20 tubes of caulk and a good decorator the vast majority of the general public wouldn't know how bad the build is

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

For less than 90 deg most mitre saws have a locking facility other than the idents for the common angles, for over 90 deg it depends on the saw, you can get one that goes up to 120 deg but you pay for it.

tore81 and FatHands like this.
  8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If your not doing a large job then maybe consider one of these.

Had one of these when first starting out in woodwork. You wont be able to cut coving on a mitre saw as it will end up being damaged.

[​IMG]

10. lisamckeown

lisamckeown New Member

Thanks guys - really useful :)

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What happened to 'scribing' the angle?

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Our old ways aren't in fashion today, I'm afraid.:(

13. DNR Plumbing

They are but no one want to pay for skill unfortunately

tore81 likes this.
  14. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Trend angle finder. Pretty good automatically halves the angle for you.

Put on the chop saw happy days.

Interested in how you would manage to fill it and still look ok. Time is money I suppose:(

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

As far as I know they only go up to 45 deg

16. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

The trend mitre fix you mean?

I have used a dewalt chop saw that goes past 45,

I had this problem with skirting once think it went to 43.

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I was talking about the hand powered one, as usual I forgot to press the post reply button when I first tried to post.

tore81 likes this.
  18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

My Bosch GCM 8SJL will do 52°Left & 60°Right.

20. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Get you :p:p:p