Mitre saw size

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by benc, Jul 1, 2016.

1. benc

benc New Member

I'm looking at getting a new mitre saw and was wondering if it's worth getting a 12 inch or is a 10 inch large enough. Thinking of the weight issues also anyone rate a Bosch over a makita?

2. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

What sort of work do you do? This really will dictate what size would be best for you, you'd likely want to go bigger if you do a lot of framing than if you do mainly trim work.
    I have a 12" bosch at my workshop, really good, with dust extraction almost rivaling a kapex imo, however it's far too large and heavy for site work for me so I have an old 8" dewalt slider which works for me 90% of the time, if I were to replace I'd go for a 10" just to get that bit extra cutting capacity.
    If you do a lot of domestic trim work definitely consider a kapex as the dust extraction is a massive bonus.

3. benc

benc New Member

I do both I'm trying to justify the size of cuts versus weight and inconvenience of size. Atm I'm on roofing however 2nd fix will probably around the corner

4. benc

benc New Member

I'm also trying to cut down on the amount of tools I have to carry around and replace.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got the Bosch GCM 8 SJL Professional, great 216 mm saw, will cut 70mm x 312 mm, but is only a single bevel model, but Bosch have since brought out a dual bevel model, the Bosch GCM 8 SDE Professional, same capacity, it will cope with everything I do.

I did consider Makita, but the quailty has slipped in my opinion, compared to my old Makita mitre saw which I replaced.

https://www.bosch-professional.com/gb/en/gcm-8-sjl-30918-ocs-p/

https://www.bosch-professional.com/gb/en/gcm-8-sde-30917-ocs-p/

You could look at the Bosch GCM 10 SD Professional, for a 254mm saw, it doesn't offer much extra cutting capacity only 15mm extra depth & 2mm on the bevel cut.

https://www.bosch-professional.com/gb/en/gcm-10-sd-8844-ocs-p/

Also consider the weight a 12" mitre saw is around 28.6 kg, the Bosch GCM 8 SDE Professional 18.5kg, the Bosch 254mm saw is around 22kg.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I generally rate De Walt for mitre saws.

7. benc

benc New Member

Had a few dealt tools I don't rate them highly. Drill driver didn't make 6 months.

8. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

Recently retired my old Elektra Beckum. Looked at Makita, Bosch and DeWalt but plumbed for the Kapex in the end. Bosch came the closest but the weight and poor extraction put me off.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very nice saw,especially the Kapex KS 120 EB GB 110v, (has a few niggles though) & I would expect it to be, considering the price around £900.:eek:

Which model.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  10. GoodwithWood

Festool KS 120 UG-Set in 230v. Made sense to get the base frame and extensions and coupled it with a CTL 26 Extractor. Had the £215 Festool voucher which helped.

Will need to get a larger hose though as the 27mm doesn't clear the dust like I had hoped it would.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got a Makita vc2012 which has a 27mm hose, found I could use 36mm hose by accident.

The drum connector fitting for each hose are same size, it's then reduced down.:)

12. GoodwithWood

The Makita looks a serious bit of kit. I did some digging and found out that STIHL make a 36mm hose that will fit the Festool for only £30 (compared with £100 for a Festool) so will order one next week unless I can find a 50mm version in the meantime.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not a bad saving.:)

The 36mm is the best size, I find anything larger is awkward & not needed.

But, Festool do list 27mm, 36mm & 50mm hoses.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  14. GoodwithWood

Totally agree, in fact I'm happy with the 27mm for use with my tracksaw and domino but a 1.5m length of 50mm would be ideal as I keep the extractor under one of the extension arms most of the time so it's always close to the saw.

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Festool USA lists 'The Industrial Cleaning Set' ref 454770, it's 50mm hose & they list the CT26, no idea if there any difference to the UK CTL26 or it's the same.

https://www.festoolusa.com/power-to.../cleaning-sets/industrial-cleaning-set-454770

You can pick up the kit in the UK for around £80. but some make no mention of it being suitable for the CT26.

http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Festool 454770 4014549103050 Cleaning Set For Industrial Use D 50 Gs Rs

http://www.powertool-supplies.co.uk/festool-cleaning-set-for-industrial-use-d-50-gs-rs.html

Get yourself a 50mm Y connector plus a 27mm/36mm to 50mm reducers & you have a good extraction setup.Festool list adapators on the USA site, just a case to hunt them down here.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

17. GoodwithWood

Thanks KIAB, I have the cleaning set for the 27mm but will look at all the options you have provided. Might still be worth going down the 50mm set route. Thanks for all the effort. :)

KIAB likes this.
  18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Only effort was hunting for the linkys in bookmarks, so, so many, need to sort them again.:(

With my previous vac, I use to have a short 50mm pipe with a Y adaptor which reduced down to one 36mm for mitre saw dust extraction & another 36mm for sucking up general dust around saw.:)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  19. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Regarding the original enquiry, I am also after a 10inch mitre saw as mine has just given up the ghost. Needs to be robust, transportable, and accurate.

At the moment I am looking at the
    Dewalt dws778 250 mm, 17 kg weight, with a sight light, Mitre 50 to 50, Bevel 48 degree, 90deg 305 x95
    No trenching (which is a downside)
    Also the Metabo kgs254 comes with a laser,
    94mm at 90deg, 17.5 kg weight
    And is a good price. But only single bevel.

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I looked at a Bosch 10" slding mitre saw, but settled for a Bosch 8" as 45° incline cutting depth was only few mm's slightly less than the 10", as was the cutting depth at 90°, 70mm compared to 85mm, but I seldom cut larger stock.
    In the end the weight difference decided the choice for me, the 8" was 18.5kg compared to 27kg for the 10".