Mixed rings circuits

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by t4z, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Fine, but you still haven't given us the readings.

Kind regards

2. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

In fairness it can be useful in a populated distribution board to save finding and dismantling (which obviously doesn't usually apply in a domestic), so I haven't any great problem with testing at a socket outlet even though the good book won't show you that trick!

3. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Granted, for someone that knows what they are doing. But how is he determining "He previous spark has wired two ring circuits into one socket eg ( kitchen ring 1 and kitchen ring 2 into one socket)." from a socket?

Kind regards

Risteard likes this.
  4. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

How do you know kitchen ring 1 and kitchen ring 2 is in one socket ? explain in detail what you did

5. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Indeed, and fair comment.

6. Beefstu

Beefstu Member

Either two radials or for some reason he has run it as a ring final, maybe for appliances, either way shouldn't take long for an electrician to sort out so why bother messing around.

7. madhatter1uk

Are you sure that he hasn't split the ring that was in the kitchen, stripped it out, put a new ring in, and re connected the old ring to the new ring until there's a new box put in.

8. Sounds like dodgy wiring, let your sparky sort it out.

9. fire

fire Well-Known Member

How can you have two ring mains in one socket?

If some numbnuts has wired a spur but made a ring main and plumbed it in as a spur into the back of a socket instead of tacking the ring back to the consumer unit then all i can say is. wow

I maybe wrong but that is what it sounds like to me, a spur off a ring main socket is allowed but no more than 4 outlets to one spur. a Ring from a spur to somehow allow more than 4 outlets is just defeating the object and silly. Clever idea to try circumvent the regs and put on more than 4 outlets but silly because regardless of it being a ring it is still a spur.

10. madhatter1uk

One single or twin per spur unless its a fused spur.

11. fire

fire Well-Known Member

You not seen the 4 gang socket yet then?

12. madhatter1uk

That counts as a twin. It's one point, regardless of how many sockets it has, one two, three or four.

13. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Anything bigger than 2 usually has a fuse in it (along with a stupidly deep back box)

fire likes this.