Mixer tap lever cartridge faulty ??

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Rossm, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Rossm

Rossm Member

Hi guys,

I took my mixer tap apart today as it has been leaking from under the handle for a while. I was expecting to see the rubber seal damaged but it is fine.

I took it down to B & Q and the plumber said it will probably be the lever cartridge itself as the seal is fine.

As I wasn't able to get a new part over the counter, I have put the old one back in until I get a new one. What I have now found is the leak is now nowhere near as bad as what it was, just a small dribble. I have tightened the lock ring up as tight as it can go so I am thinking that the lockring was not tight enough, but now the tap squeaks as I turn it and there is a good bit more resistance when lifting and turning the handle.

So at the moment, I am stumped as to what it can be as it is still dribbling, anybody got any ideas? Can these cartridges become faulty and leak?

I had a look online for replacement cartridges and can see a few different types with difference sizes i.e 35mm and 40mm.

I have attached a couple of pictures for you to see the existing part from my tap.

20161019_132904.jpg 20161019_132927.jpg
    Thanks.

Ross

2. Rossm

Rossm Member

Can anybody help ?

3. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

In my experiance if you just change the cartridge if will be fine for a few months then the sysmptoms will re-occur. Often the best cure is to bite the bullet and replace the whole tap.

4. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

That's my experience as well, new mixers are only marginally more expensive than the cartridges anyway.
    Upgrade to a thermostatic mixer would be good.