Mixing CH inhibitors

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mixmydrinks, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Mixmydrinks

Mixmydrinks New Member

Hi folks, please can you help with your views on mixing inhibitors, and dare I ask which is best? The question appears now and again around the net but I've yet to find the definitive answer. The big makers say that they cannot say whether mixing inhibitors will affect performance or not.

We are pleased with our new Worcester gas boiler installed about five years ago and inhibited with Fernox, but when the installer went bust three years back we engaged another contractor to change a leaky rad and do the annual service, after which he topped up with half a bottle of Sentinel. A few months later the circulation pump became noisy and was replaced under warranty, now it's becoming noisy again as if the bearings are failing.

Would it be worth draining the system, refill with water only for a few days, then drain and inhibit using either one brand or the other?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I never mix inhibitors,have always drained down & refilled with Sentinel X100, & if system has a magnetic filter, Magnaclean Pro 2 then I will add Sentinel X900 Filter Aid to system.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  3. Mixmydrinks

Mixmydrinks New Member

Thanks KIAB, I'm tending towards this action. The system has a Magnaclean which has always been pretty clean at annual service, only light black film of magnetite which one would expect.

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I did some digging a year or so back and found that several of the inhibitors, including at least one front line brand, were made by one company and then labelled as required for the various brands. I cannot find my notes from then - I wish I could refer back to them.

For example: look at the COSHH data sheet for Flomasta inhibitor and then the one for NoNonsense - same manufacturer.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would expect the same manufacturer for the lower brands as I call them, but Sentinel,Fernox, pretty sure they are made separately.

6. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

The Adey MX range has just won an industry award for being one of the best on the market.
    http://www.adey.com

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Adey MX,a typo instead of MC?

Pretty impressive for Adey.

8. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Its usually ok to mix inhibitor as its basically all the same except the older fernox gallon container product and combined treatments.

But to be on the safe side you could drain it out, add cleaner leave for a while then drain out again and add a well known inhibitor.

your pump could have air trapped or is suffering from cavitation or you could have a poor system or a boiler that eats pumps,pumps are an easy repair so exchange is diy possible.

9. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

As your system already has a magnaclean then its pretty simple to connect a hose up and flush it out.

[​IMG]

KIAB likes this.
  10. Mixmydrinks

Mixmydrinks New Member

Many thanks to everyone for your advice. I have drained and flushed the system (which was crystal clear anyway) and refilled with Sentinel. The pump hums loudly as before so I'll get it changed and report back on this forum next year.