Mixing copper pushfit with plastic pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by EdTS, Jan 29, 2015.

1. EdTS

EdTS New Member

Hi,

I'm a DIYer and done lots of push fit stuff, initially copper pipe and copper pushfit and not had any problems.
    Just recently moved to plastic pipe and connectors (JG speedfit) and still had no problems, however, I only like to use plastic in areas where I could easily get in and replace bits!

I am just putting a pipe in a "lathe and plaster wall" for a power shower and can not put in a copper pipe without hacking out most of the wall, so:
    (a) is there a trick to getting long lengths of copper down an existing wall with limited access?
    (b) is there anything wrong with putting copper push fit onto plastic pipe (that would easily pass down the wall cavity), if not:
    (i) do you use standard pipe inserts or superseal inserts?
    (ii) wouldn't the metal teeth in a push fit slowly eat away at the plastic pipe?

Thanks in advance for any help.....
    Ed

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

As far as I am aware the copper push fit is soley for copper, but you can use plastic push fit on copper.
    Having said that I no big fan of push fit as ive witnessed some horrendous DIY bodge jobs with it.
    It has its place and can get you out of trouble in a tight spot but give me good old copper and end feed fitting every time.
    Theres always a way to get pipes into a tight spot but each scenario has its own solution.
    You might want to have a look at compression fittings on the plastic pipe as opposed to copper push fit.

3. EdTS

EdTS New Member

Thanks - think I will just stick to cooper pipe and copper fittings and figure out a way to get the pipe down the small hole I have.....

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Plastic pipe and push fit is used extensively in new build and every where else to be honest, I've never used copper push fit because I couldn't see the point.
    If you do use compression fitting on plastic pipe don't use the inserts with o rings on.