Mobile home earthing/bonding?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Sparks., Mar 31, 2015.

1. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

Been looking over a 'mobile home' (static caravans) site today. Not the sort of job I'm familiar with. Each of the statics is supplied from a 16A breaker in a remote DB. Each supply to the statics consists of a 2.5mm Twin/Earth buried in a length of plastic water pipe with a 16A socket on the end. It's a TT supply with a 100ma RCD at the business end of the submain. Some of the units have a 10mm bond to the gas bottles parked outside and some don't. I'd like to suggest ripping out and starting again with swa to a 'caravan unit' outside each static but I think that's beyond the current budget. What are the bonding requirements for such homes? Would a seperate earth rod at each unit be better, with a 10mm bond to chassis and gas pipework to met in caravan?

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Yes each unit should have its own rod. No point in anything bigger than a 6mm2 earth or bond, its not the same as TN systems. Look at section 708 in the regs.

3. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

Thanks, I was looking at section 708 the other day but still unsure about 708/721. 721 deals with 'installations in caravans' but does that include 'static caravans'? Whereas 708 deals with installations in caravan parks, which I presume means hook-ups and the like. As usual, the book is not as clear as it should be....

4. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

What sort of site are we talking about? A holiday type caravan park or a mobile home park site?

Section 708 applies to Liesure accommodation vehicles (static or not). It doesn't apply to residential/transportable/mobile units.

16amp supplies suggests it's for holiday use.

Assuming so, section 708 would apply to the supplies to the vans, and the sub distribution up to them.

A TT supply is fine. A TN-S would also be fine, but a TN-C-S is not permitted, and is actually prohibited under the ESCQR regs.

As with any TT, the upfront RCD should be time delayed, and 100mA or higher. You don't need to rod down each van, but the more rods the better. The sub circuits to the vans must be protected by a 30mA RCD, although in true cross over fashion, static and touring holiday accommodation vehicles also require a 30mA RCD at their origin too.

FatHands likes this.
  5. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

Yes, it's holiday use. The only rod I can see is at the DB. Some of the units are a long way from this, fed only with 2.5 twin/earth. I feel I should be rodding each van. Looks like all the chassis and gas pipe bonding needs looking at so just as well do it all while I'm at it rather than rely on that long length of 1.5cpc alone :)

6. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

I've now noticed that the gas pipe from the bottle regulator to the copper emerging from the caravan is in plastic. No point bonding this then is there?

7. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Its difficult knowing where these types of van sit in terms of section 7. They are not a caravan or motor caravan, and neither are they a transportable unit. They do share some of the distinguishments though. They are classed as Liesure Accomodation Vehicles.

If you look at them, they deviate from section 721 in several ways, even brand new ones. That's because they are not classed as caravans, so this section doesn't really apply.

They are awkward in terms of the regs.

Gas bottles are usually connected with a final tail of hose. The NIC say even in homes, this is clearly not extraneous, and while they would prefer to see it bonded, they don't insist it's done.

8. Sparks.

Sparks. Member

Yes, this part of the regs definitely needs some clarification. But then, so does most of it!!

9. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

If it's static, then treat it as any other standard installation.
    If not static, then Section 7 applies.

10. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Be careful I made a huge mistake with a semi-permanent caravan site. I was sent to fit earths still in the days of 16th Edition BS 7671:1992 and I just went about fitting them all without any real thought as to what it could mean. No access to most of the caravans the guys were at work so just a cable connected to chassis.

However that evening my boss visited the caravan site to find most were on ELCB-v the old yellow button type and my work had rendered them all useless.

Also it would seem if the caravan is deemed a home rather than a tow-able caravan there are minimum requirement that class it as inhabitable I could never find the regulation but was informed they must have at least a 32A supply. The guy telling me was rather upset as he had some units on his site and to give them a 32A supply was a real headache fortunately he only at that time had two I assume it was the local council who had told him and it resulted in him reducing the number of units by 6 just so he could give these two the supply required.

As soon as one starts up grading it seems everyone wants their slice of the cake. And what was going to be a gradual event turns into a rush to supply. Trying to use some reason and explain if you really want that lot I will just have to close the site never seems to work.

The only way seems to be to plan for whole upgrade and split it into phases. Twin and earth has been used outdoors for years but it's not designed for outdoors and is only supplied for domestic use so using it even in plastic water pipes leaves one wide open should anyone do something daft. Once you start you are going to have to issue installation or minor works and put your name on the paperwork. 9 times out of 10 nothing goes wrong but when it does you get Emma Shaw size problem for any electrician involved.

I does not matter is the work is spread out over 5 years but if you try to do it on the cheap people don't say we he was only trying to help they want to point fingers.

For the guy with a shed maybe we can take a chance but on a commercial site not really worth the risk.