Modern drywall building method.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Hello again - more help needed... :oops:.

I'll soon be ripping down a wall in my sis's new hoosie. I've confirmed with the builder - Strongvox - that it ain't structural, so down it comes...

It's one of these plasterboard on steel frame types, something I've never dealt with before. Have to say, it's nice and solid - very firm, with no movement at all when thumped.

It ain't a whole wall coming down, but cutting a large square opening betwixt two rooms, around 6+' wide and the height of the adjacent doorway. It'll be finished off the same as the door openings - an ogee frame going around it all.

Any tips on how to deal with the steel frame verticals?

I'm thinking of chust cutting the exact opening with a Stanley knife - cutting deeper until I'm through the p'board - and then removing these sheets. That will presumably leave the vertical metal 'studs' exposed...?

What typical width spacing are these? I presume I'll be able to chust cut them off at the top of the opening, using either a hacksaw or an angle grinder?

How are the p'board sheets attached to these 'steels' - self tapers?

I then plan to insert flush into the open gap betwixt the two wall layers 4x2 timbers (or whatever fits), and screw into them through both sides of the p'board.

Then lip the edges of the opening with ~4"+ p'board strips, fit edge beading and then skim.

Finally architrave it all.

That sound about right?

Ta muchly.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2015
  2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Same spacing as wood studs, same pb screws, made of thin steel so easy to cut.

FatHands likes this.
  3. Another Q - can I have your babies?

4. Er, I mean - "thanks..." :oops:

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I'll be going in dry o_O

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Might be more to it than fixing 4x2 through plasterboard. Also got the top to consider, and these timbers should be fixed to something structural!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. I don't understand. But I'm not sure I want to...

8. Pretty sure that will be enough - there will be existing steel uprights in the wall either side of the opening, and I reckon it must be 12mm p'board 'cos it's well solid.

A snug timber 'stud' infill running up from the floor, along t'top and down t'other side, all glued and screwed - it ain't going anywhere.

I don't think.

I mean I do think it ain't going anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2015
  9. Er, what happens at the top and bottom of these steel 'studs'? Is there a steel rail running along t'ceiling that the verticals are attached to? How are they attached?

I'm think that when the opening is, er, opened, the section overhead will be around 400mm down from the ceiling and will obviously need to stay there when the rest of the steel studs are cut away. Will the remaining 400mm lengths still be ok> They'll still be hanging - attached - to the ceiling?!

The floor is solid, and screeded. How do they usually fix the bottoms to this? Glue or nail gun?

Cheers.

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you can notch your stiles so they fit into your head and floor plate you should be fine.:)

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Posted while you were writing, U shaped metal top and bottom which u shaped studs fit into, basically held together by the pb and screws.

12. Cool - so the cut bits should still stay put...

13. That's a good idea :)

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Squeel like a piggy ;);)

15. Mr. Handyandy

Yep. That's right. Bend over like a dog first!

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Love a bit of doggie :rolleyes::rolleyes:

17. Mr. Handyandy

Over the ironing board you go, DA. You have a pressing engagement.

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

So DA is an iron :eek:

19. Mr. Handyandy

No. You have the iron(and a dry one at that), and do the pressing.