Mondeo auto box problem

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by chippie244, Aug 13, 2013.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've got an old S reg 2L Mondeo Auto estate that has run like a dream but recently the gearbox has started, after about 20 miles or so, to kick down if I deaccelerate and after a bit off this the O/D OFF light comes on, I've checked the fluid and it is clear, red and not burnt, I'm due to take the kids camping on Thursday 200 miles away and the wifes car is tiny so I can't use that. Any sensible ideas?

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Have you checked your other levels, engine oil etc. for example?

I can't remember, do autos have separate gear oil filler?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Other levels OK, Separate filler and filter, other research is suggesting  it is linked to a speedo/ecu problem

4. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

I can only suggest you take the car to someone who can read the fault codes and go from there.

Good luck with it.

Fats

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Got to busk it and see what happens, cheers.

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Just make sure your in one of the motoring organisations (and have the bring yer car back home option ) before you set off. ;)
    I was in the AA years ago and had the "take your car home" option. Coming back from Oldham on Friday and the brakes failed (conveniently just outside a pub in Leek,, The Old Royal Oak)  Phoned them up and they said it would be about an hour before they could get to me. When the chap arrived, he had a look and said  he'd organise a lift home on the back of a transporter, but that would be another 2 hrs.. I could hardly stand when the transporter arrived.

7. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Yeah good shout John. At least if it does take a turn for the worst you can get home with the car on the back of the truck. If there is a wait, there's always the pub

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

100 miles into the trip and the gearbox shed all its oil over the M4, this may or may not be related to the previous problem. The £18.90 I had spent on recovery was well worth it. Borrowed a car and off again tomorrow.