Monobloc Bath & Basin Taps

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Otisthelift, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Otisthelift

Otisthelift New Member

Can I use a Monobloc Basin tap as a bath tap/filler?
    I cant seem to find a "reasonably priced" Monobloc Bath Tap, but there are lots of basin taps.

Thanks

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

You can use a basin tap for the bath but be prepared for a long wait while it fills the bath.
    Bath and basin taps are designed for different flow rates.

3. Otisthelift

Otisthelift New Member

Thanks, any idea what sort of difference in flow rate? ie how much longer would it take (assuming same pressure etc); 2x, 5x 10x ????? Thanks for your help.

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

How many holes does your bath tub have? or is it a new one where you drill your own holes. If you drill the hole and then find your not getting a good flow you'll end up buying a new bath tub.

Personally I don't think using a mono on a bath is a good idea as reasons already mentioned.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  5. Otisthelift

Otisthelift New Member

Its the latter, which is exactly why I wanted to establish/predict results before drilling £350 worth of bath!!!!
    Thanks

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

At present what flow rates are you getting from your old bath? If they are good I would try and keep the same set up.

The answer to your question can't be given as there are a number of factors i.e the type of heating system you have, the pipe sizes etc etc.

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Anyways £350 is a lot for a bath, surely you can find the monies for the taps?

I got my whole set for under £400

8. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Cant tell you off the top of my head but it would be considerable, besides you say you have just spent £350 on a bath, why in gods name would you consider putting a smaller than designed tap on it. It would not only look ridiculous you'd have to wait half a day to fill it. Bottom line bath taps are for baths basin taps are for basins.