moss on garage roof - taking legal action

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by fedup, Sep 26, 2013.

1. fedup

fedup New Member

Hi can anyone help me. I have moss on an asbestos garage roof (plus bird poo!!) and I have a complaining neighbour threatning to take me to court over it.  I could get it cleaned off -I am a pensioner - female - and it will cost me (which I cant really afford) but would be better than doing "time".  Can I get prosecuted about this.  Would appreciate anyone helping solve my problem. Thanks

2. MrGrimNasty

MrGrimNasty New Member

And on what legal basis is this action?

Is it a shared roof? Is it dangerous? Is it an environmental health hazard?

If it is your roof and not a really serious antisocial/health matter, they can go hang.

3. No you wont get prosecuted, theres moss and bird **** on all roofs.

4. fedup

fedup New Member

MrGrimNasty, thanks for reply,

they say it is affecting their health  and dont want there grandchildren near it.  It is a detached garage but my other (nice neighbour) has his garage butted up to mine and his is also moss affected but this a...hole doesnt say anything to him.  It is just that he is rather threatening and says he is getting solicitors involved and it worries me.

Cotswold Builders, thanks you have both made me feel a bit easier.

5. fedup

fedup New Member

thanks for your help, I seem to go around looking at roofs now for evidence of moss!!! I need to get a life. cheers

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

He'll be saying next that he 'knows someone' that'll clean it up for you, for 800 quid, and rather than get the solicitors involved.............

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Call his bluff, if he says he's getting soliictors involved tell him to go ahead and you look forward to hearing from them. He can then either shut up or waste his own money.

8. MrGrimNasty

MrGrimNasty New Member

Have a word with your local neighbourhood policing team and get a PCSO sent round to have a word, say they are upsetting you, the claims are ludicrous, and it amounts to harassment.
    That should shut them up.
    And as chippie says, they can waste a fortune if they like, you can just keep replying with non-replies to their impotent solicitors' letters (because turning around 1 letter will leave them no change from £500 minimum)!

9. fedup

fedup New Member

Hi Chippie244, I know I want to call his bluff but am worried that there is something out there that he knows about and I dont which could lead me into a legal action cos he is one of those blokes that knows it all and doesnt like to loose at anything.  All I want is a quiet peaceful life and would love to move away from this looser but I have other nice neighbours.

10. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

6 Months inside would save you all of your winter heating bills. You'd get 3 meals a day. You'll have access to a library and your room (well cell) would be nice and warm. They'd find you a nice little job , so you could earn a bit of money to come home with.  Just think of the savings dear. Your pension would be waiting for you when you came out. I reckon you'll be quids in. (strictly tongue in cheek dear) ;)

11. fedup

fedup New Member

Thank you very much for your advice, it makes me feel a lot easier, i think you might be right and I shall have a word with the local PCSO if nothing else but for advice.  I think this site is great, just discovered it and it seems like a lot of good, honest people on here.  Thank you very much

Corkyjohn likes this.
  12. fedup

fedup New Member

Joinerjohn, I laughed so much at your reply and yes, you have such a valid point and actually it sounds rather inviting, I wouldnt mind doing a bit of solitary if it came to it, recharge my batteries, etc., thanks for that upbeat message.

13. Mr Grim makes a fair point - your neighbour's manner sounds as tho' it amounts to harassment.

(As well as being simply ludicrous).

They are twits - you are not. No need to threaten them with solicitors or anything, because that'll just raise their hackles. The next time they mention it, be calm and measured (as I'm sure you are) and tell them you have looked into it, received some good advice (but don't tell him where...) and that there is absolutely no basis to their claim.

I wonder if his real reason is cosmetic - he just doesn't like looking at it?! You could ask him!

If you want, you could even suggest you are happy for him to arrange to have it cleaned - by professionals, tho', not by him personally (you don't want a twit on your roof - they are bad enough t'other side of fence) - and at his expense. Say all this in a reasonable manner. Confirm that you have no intention of cleaning the roof - and you consider that to be the end of the matter.

If he doesn't accept this, or his manner is anything other than 'reasonable', add that you've also been told his manner could amount to "harassment" and that you will have no choice but to inform the authorities if he continues. If he has a rant at this - then DO contact your PCSO.

And they WILL come and have a quiet word in his shell-like, and tell him to cease and desist....

If it gets to this stage, then be ready to report him instantly if he does or says anything remotely unpleasant or threatening again. This guy needs to stop acting like this now, and he can be made to.

14. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

If I had grandchildren playing near an asbestos roof that had a nice coat of moss sealing it in, the last thing I would want is somebody scraping away at the surface of the asbestos!  Even if the surface is kept wet during cleaning any fibres loosened will become airborne when it dries out, so unless its 6? deep in bird poo it?s way better to leave it alone.
    If it really bothers you why not speak to the environmental health department at the council to ask their opinion, once they say it is not an issue you can tell your neighbour to put that in his pipe and smoke it!
    You could also upload a photo if you want some opinions from forum members to reassure you.

Don't let the B******S grind you down;)

Best wishes,
    teabreak

15. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Hi Fedup,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I think DA has hit the nail on the head - this neighbour wants your roof cleaned up and feels the best way to go about getting it done is threaten you with solicitors.

What an idiot!

All the best with it, upload a photo if you can.

Cheers

Fats

16. Hank

Hank Member

17. Also check out their sister organistaion, Citizens Advice...

18. big all

big all Screwfix Select

i would ask him what specific bit off legislation he is trying to enact
    ask him to furbish you with the relivent paragraph