Most effecient way forcentral heating

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by BarryH, Jul 20, 2016.

1. BarryH

BarryH Member

I read that British Gas recommend leaving your boiler running 24 hours a day on a low setting, would this be more economic than programming for the times you actually need to heat the house?

Just wondered what peoples views were on this.

2. David Wells Heating

David Wells Heating New Member

This really would depend on the insulation of your property, if it is not a super modern house, then it will leak heat from almost anywhere, so heating, even on a lower temperature could be costly. We install a lot of App controlled systems, very easy to use, I was sceptical until I fitted one for myself, I would not be without it now, I can simply switch my heating or hot water on when I am on my way home, my lifestyle as a heating engineer is not regular hours, so this type of control saw my gas consumption dive dramatically. We will be featuring an section all about controls and best way to run systems to their best efficiency on our website soon, we are in the process of making some videos explaining truths and myths. If your interested then send me a message from our site and I will send you a link as soon as it is complete . dewells.com

3. This has been covered a few times on here.

Physics tells us that it cannot be more efficient to have it running 24 hours per day compared to only being on when it's needed.

If BG are really recommending this, it must surely be to do with having homes heated to an adequate level for comfort or safety (to prevent hypothermia) and not actual fuel savings?

Your CH system heats up the inside of your home, and this heat is lost through the building fabric and air changes. The greater the difference between the inside and outside temps, the greater the heat transfer. Ergo, if you keep your house insides heated - even to a lowish temp - there will be a constant heat loss = waste.

Yes, a constantly running system at a lowish level will mean that you can get the internal temp up to what you want much faster when you need it, and to get it up to this temp will take less energy, but overall there will be a greater consumption of energy by running it 24 hours per day.

4. David Wells Heating

David Wells Heating New Member

Totally agree... and it boils my blood when people say otherwise

5. You save a fortune on heating I bet.

BarryH and David Wells Heating like this.
  6. BarryH

BarryH Member

Thanks for the replies. It's not a modern house so I guess it's not to good at retaining the heat produced by the central heating.

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

More likely to do with the fact that it's British Gas selling their expensive gaseous product to you in the first place. What better way to increase profits than by telling your customers to leave their central heating on 24/7 ;););) (just saying like)