Motor keeps tripping RCD

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Neosparks, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Neosparks

Neosparks Member

A 1.5kW motor single phase is tripping the 30mA RCD protected sub dis-board out on a construction site. The installation is new, tested and clear. What's the cause, and do I need to call the motor-people out to sort out the motor? I thought it might be the armature going to earth or similar. Cheers

2. jumboscruit

jumboscruit New Member

It's probably something to do with the switching-on of an inductive load, like a motor, that can trip an RCD.

Not sure how you would get over this problem. If switching is double-pole that may help.

Ideally a motor of that size shouldn't be run through a normal 30Ma. RCD.

It's either some sort of imbalance to the supply caused by the motor switching on, or it's deforming the mains frequency wave-form somehow, and that can cause unwanted tripping. There is I believe, a special type of RCD that can handle this. There is a post somewhere on this forum and link, that explains this.

Perhaps a "type S" time-delayed RCD at the mains and then seperate the motor off of the rest of the wiring, which can be protected with the usual type of RCD.

JS

3. Neosparks

Neosparks Member

Great, thanks for that. Will pass on the info to the site manager