mouldy bathroom ceiling

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Brommy, May 20, 2015.

1. Brommy

Brommy New Member

The fan failed in my shower room which has now been replaced.. The result is a ceiling with mould and is starting to flake. Are there any suggestions for firstly repairing the ceiling and what paints to use?

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I had a similar problem, I overboarded the ceiling and fresh bathroom paint.

Brommy likes this.
  3. Brommy

Brommy New Member

:( oh didn't really want to overboard.. just wondering if I could sand it back maybe/possibly reseal and paint?? What you reckon?

4. i would say overboarding is a bit extreme, presuming it is a plastered plasterboard ceiling i would scrape sand the offending area or whole ceiling if you see fit mist coat any bare plaster and then paint with a good quality emulsion which should be fine unless your fan packs up again

Gatt and Brommy like this.
  5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Due to it only being a bathroom, so not that big an area, over boarding was easier and quicker than scraping off the flaking paint and a lot less mess, used tapered joint boards so just filler over the joints/screw heads not a whole ceiling skim and paint, job done in a day easy, even allowing time for filler to dry.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    Brommy likes this.
  6. rimce44

rimce44 New Member

Zinsser Perma White. I've used it many times. A few years down the line and spot of mould.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

^^^^ + 'not a' ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Brommy

Brommy New Member

Zinsser seems a good product - just Googled it...

9. I can guess why Phil over-boarded - if there are multiple layers of paint, it can be a 'mare to get it looking good, sanding and filling the edges of the paint layers so's they can't be seen.

But if that ain't an issue, Brommy, if there is only a thin paint layer up there and you can scrape off all the loose bits and get it all looking smooth, then a good quality product like Zinsser (never tried it, but always good reviews) should do the trick.

Don't forget there are also 'bathroom' paints in most paint ranges.

Brommy likes this.
  10. Brommy

Brommy New Member

I think that's what I'm going to do.. clean it up sand it lightly Get rid of flakes etc and use the zinsser as an undercoat/base then a good quality bathroom paint on top.. Thanks all for the advice