Mountfield SP536 - Help!

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Jools210, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Jools210

Jools210 New Member

Hi, I was very pleased with myself a couple of weeks ago, learning how to use the Mountfield after my husband died. made a nice job of the garden.

Today, I got it out again, did a bit then got stuck in a corner ;) following which it became hard to push. I checked the wheels were free and it wasn't blocked anywhere, did another row with difficulty then had another look.

Forgive my lack of technicality but the back lever that I think is the clutch lever, well the wire on it is not taut anymore and the lever just flops down.

What the heck have I done and can I mend it?

Thanks

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

you should be able to trace the route of bowden cable as it runs from the handle down towards the pair of driven wheels - if it's still attached at both ends but only one end moves when you release/hold the handle then it's snapped midpoint and will need changing

more likely it's just come off, or the nipple has broken off down near the wheels

3. Jools210

Jools210 New Member

hi Thanks. I can trace it down to the body of the mower and then it disappears into it. I have tried to feel for it underneath but cannot locate it, I think it may be housed in a compartment of some sort. From its slackness I'll assume its snapped until I can investigate further.

I've read you're not supposed to turn the mower on its side, what;s the best way to look underneath without damaging the engine? (sorry, bit thick I know!)

4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

you won't damage the engine but you'll probably see some of the fuel dripping out - no harm done if you are outside on the grass - they usually have a plastic cowl covering which can be unscrewed or pulled off

5. Jools210

Jools210 New Member

Thanks for your help, will have a go!

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Could be a lump of muck underneath stopping a lever from returning.
    Have a little stick ready so you can have a poke about and clear-up.
    Try not to tip it more than 90ยบ, you may tip the oil into the piston chamber(not dangerous but may make it run erratically-chugg- for a while and smoke like hell). If possible, always tip it so that the spark plug goes up.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

good point - if it's a four stroke, make sure the air filter is upwards if you tip it up for more than a few minutes

8. Jools210

Jools210 New Member

Blimey whassat? I tipped it forward against a wall so the underneath bit was vertical. I cleaned the bottom that was built up with grass and muck but couldn't see where to take it apart and frankly after the day I've had I'd have probably made it worse! I've phone a mower repair place and I have to take it in. Quite how I'll get it in my car is another matter!

Thanks again :)