Mounting a right angled aerial bracket onto Corrugated Metal

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Paul Gantley, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Paul Gantley

Paul Gantley New Member

Hi all,
    Any one got any advice on what to use to mount the above cranked bracket ??
    I thought self drilling screws but have read they become loose after a while. I then thought rivets but would I need to reinforce the opposite side of the corrugated wall ??

Any advice appreciated.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got a photo, will help to work out best options.

3. Paul Gantley

Paul Gantley New Member

Ah soz KIAB, its a job for a client, I dont think they would let me post a picture of there building.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sounds a pretty basic task, what's the problem? Why not make 2 metal plates and bolt these either side of the corrugated with the bracket mounted to it. As KIAB suggested a photo would really help see the issue.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  5. Paul Gantley

Paul Gantley New Member

Not really needed or have had a job which requires this kind of work before.
    The metal plates seem like a good idea. Ill try and get photos guys, im onsite this week.

Ta.

6. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Hi,

Just out of interest.
    What kind aerial is it to support.
    I am a Ham Radio man, I have a beam rotatable 33 foot X 14 foot.
    If yours is for TV or a Sat Dish as you don't want either of them moving in a wind.
    More so a dish,
    Just interested ( More nosey really )
    Johnny M

038.JPG

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You might be able to fix cranked bracket to some 6mm x 50mm flat bar, & fix to framework supporting cladding.
    If fixed just to cladding, slight possibility of creasing cladding in high winds..

What's height of cranked bracket, & what the size of aerial attached to it.

And you want to make sure cranked bracket is strong enough (wall thickness) to support weight.

8. Paul Gantley

Paul Gantley New Member

Morning fellas,
    im mounting this kit, http://www.wifigear.co.uk/ligowave-mach-5-5ghz-23dbm-mimo-unit
    using this, http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/cranked-bracket-30cm-a30fb

The kit is dedicated high power point to point WiFi antennas between two buildings. They will hopefully be mounted on a brick building, the other on a half brick and corrugated steel building. I need to install the units high enough to clear vans & lorrys coming & going.
    Im ok with the brick building, just wanted to know if any one has any tips securely mounting anything into corrugated steel. I don't really want to re-visit the job because the mounting has become loose in the wind.

Thanks people.

9. You are right to be concerned about the fixings loosening over time due to the wind movement. So any type of self-cutting or tapping screws will very likely do this.

Can you get to the other side or the sheeting? If so, nylock nuts or spring washers (what's they called- the ones with the sharp cutting edge to dig in to the nut surface?) should be ok.

Failing that, you could look at a solution that prevents the movement from loosening the screws - ie fixes them in place. Something like bedding the mounting plate on to the corrugated ridges using summat like StixAll, with the screws also coated in the stuff as they are driven in. I doubt very much that'll move. If you can stop that intial tiny movement, then it cannot develop.

Another possible issue, tho', is whether the bracket plate is so small that it'll cause a rocking movement on the corrugated sheets - if the sheets aren't rigid enough, the leverage of the small bracket could do this? In which case you may need to first mount a larger board to span a greater area of the sheets. That would also allow a greater fixing area.

But, if you can get behind the sheets, the best solution will be some form of lock-nuts, I think.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If you can find metal frame work member you could fix a ubolt around it & through cladding, & through a reinforment plate outside to fix aerial to.

upload_2016-6-14_11-1-17.jpeg

11. JOMEL

JOMEL Screwfix Select

Hi,

Joking aside.
    Is there not a decent wall you can fix to.
    I am not sure what angle that antenna transceiver' over ( like be out of line ) but I am sure at 5 gigs it will be quite narrow.
    Not sure what's its performance is like over a grounded plane below it.
    High and in the clear is the motto with that stuff but if that's not possible
    you do the best you can of course.
    Lots in my hobby are using 2gigs but its mostly for portable experimentation.
    I have a 1.5mtr rotatable dish in my garden that was a job to stabilise.
    I would still look for a wall, all movement then gone.
    That antenna in the pic was near £2K what a hobby lol,

Keep in touch its most interesting.

Johnny M

12. Paul Gantley

Paul Gantley New Member

Im on a job around the corner from the place tomoz so ill get piccys for you all.

13. Paul Gantley

Paul Gantley New Member

As promised, piccys. Iv drawn red circles around where I need to mount the units.
    There are two skins with insulation in between.

Attached Files:

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

There a row of bolts slightly lower down,there a cross member, drop the bracket down a bit, & fix on that.

15. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Looking at that, I would bolt a plate inside and out(bolt straight through), and shorter bolts for the bracket to plate.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

As in post 10.:D

17. Mr. Handyandy

Similar, but better than a ubolt! :cool:

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

18. That's good news, Paul - you do have access to the inside too.

The antenna ain't that big - around 400mm square - and just over 3kg. That ain't a big load, and it also shouldn't be buffeted by the wind much.

Your planned mounting bracket has a 200mm square mounting plate. Tbh, I reckon that itself will be fine, without any need to increase its footprint.

Bolt right through both skins, fit large washers on the inside, or get a metal (or even ply) plate to spread the force, and use bolts with nylock nuts.

I suspect you'll find the outer shed skin to be rigid enough to avoid unwanted 'wobble' movement, but if you are not certain on this, then try and catch that cross-member shown a little lower as said above. But I guess you want it mounted as high as possible?

My gut feeling is that it chust won't be necessary, though.

Personally, I'd also adhere the outer bracket to the shed wall using StixAll on the final screw-down and that will prevent any loosening whatsoever.

See these floodlights? I bet these are just as heavy - see what their 'wobble' movement is like, and also how they are attached. Take your cue from this.

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

As in post 4 :D:p

Better ;)

KIAB likes this.
  20. Mr. Handyandy

I would suggest that being corrugated metal wall, that the aerial should be as high as ever possible(within reason) for interference prevention.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really