Mounting AM3 board onto ply/mdf/wood board & batons

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Hally4646, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Hally4646

Hally4646 Member

Hi all, what are your thoughts on mounting AM3 boards on batons and ply/mdf board to bring it off the wall to use the rear knock outs?? Also, if the tails coming in to the CU are clipped and secure,what about bringing them in to the rear also rather than using a gland in the bottom or side??

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Is the supply TT? - reason for asking is that in all cases TT tails must be properly glanded into db, and not run through grommets etc..be it rear entry or whatever.

3. Hally4646

Hally4646 Member

Sorry, should have been more clear to start with. Its a PME supply, tails through a DP isolator in the meter box outside. So there is no problem with me running tails up and into the rear,with the board mounted on batons and ply/mdf or something similar? Its for a CPS assessment and i want to get it perfect for the assessor.

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes that's ok although if it is a TT system I would gland the tails in as JP said, also the earth cable needs to go through the same gland as the tails. (btw, it's battens not batons!) :)

Hally4646 likes this.
  5. Hally4646

Hally4646 Member

Of course,one is used for clubbing criminals with!

seneca likes this.
  6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

All ok then, remember to bring the main earthing conductor in through the same knock-out as the tails.

Lectrician and Hally4646 like this.
  7. Hally4646

Hally4646 Member

I was thinking of doing it this way so there was no issue whatsoever with IP rating. Also bringing the tails in the back just keeps it all neat and tidy.

seneca likes this.
  8. Hally4646

Hally4646 Member

Thanks or the reply's!

9. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Why do you say that sen? Main earth can go in independent hole anywhere on the board.

10. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Wylex do a standoff plate for their Customers.

Hally4646 likes this.
  11. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

12. Hally4646

Hally4646 Member

13. Hally4646

Hally4646 Member

Yeah i've seen those. Consumer unit patress. About £40-50.

14. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Apparently not UP, although I do agree with you! In this case though the OP is using the job for his assessment.

Hally4646 likes this.
  15. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

All singles for any circuit, whether tails, or singles in trunking bushed to a DB, should be grouped together through the same hole. Assuming ferrous metal of course.

Hally4646 likes this.
  16. Hally4646

Hally4646 Member

Well now i've got that sorted in my head,just the damn test sheets to sort..... Must admit,that's one thing that frustrates me about this whole job. There are very few definitive answers, lots of the regs are open to interpretation. Someone see's it one way, others see it another.

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Never fitted a metal DB tbqh. (except metal dis cabs from 3ph supply to distribute to flats) What size gland would you use for say 2 times 25mm meter tails and one 16mm stranded single earth cable? In the case of a TT installation more then anything else, are the tails well insulated from each other in the gland with no risk of say abrasion from earth to neutral tail when tightening up the gland? Any link to a good gland would be most appreciated. Lastly are the cables all going through one gland something to do with eddy currents? Thanks.

18. Hally4646

Hally4646 Member

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WKTKP40R32.html Yeah both live and neutral through the same gland/knockout to prevent Eddy. Im sure in TT installs, the tails have to be RCD protected (100mA type S).

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Oh right TLC is normally the place I use for electrical stuff - - sums it all up nicely. I suppose the 100ma S type will be in its own metal enclosure feeding the DB with say twin rcds (17th edn split load)

One question - Say the 100ma S type is supplying a DB populated with rcbo's - then can the S type take the place of the main switch in the DB - this would eliminate a separate enclosure for the S type? This will however negate tail protection

Thanks for the link Hally..all the above with ref to TT

20. Hally4646

Hally4646 Member

Not sure about changing the main switch, for all the hassle of getting one to fit the board etc you might as well just get an enclosure.