Moving a 9'x6' garden shed

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by mikki, Apr 10, 2016.

1. mikki

mikki Member

Hi, we want turn our garden shed by 90degrees keeping it on the same spot. How would I go about doing this? Are sheds usually fixed to the ground?

Thanks

2. Usually they chust sit there, under their own weight.

What surface is it sitting on - paving slabs or similar? And do you have decent access all around it?

If you can get 4 people, position one in each corner and push gently-but-firmly against the very bottoms of each corner in the direction you want it to move :) If the surface is smooth, this might be all it needs.

Failing that, you may need lengths of timber to act as levers. Is the shed sitting on timber bearers so that at the front there are gaps you can see under the shed? If so, position the levers under there a few inches, and by gently pulling up you should be able to take the weight of the shed off of the ground.

Check this first. Two levers - one at each corner at the front, so they are near the shed walls. Simultaneously lift so the the shed barely lifts at the front - literally a fraction of an inch. Then move the levers sideways at the same time - the shed front should move a few inches with it.

Repeat - use a 'rowing' motion; move the lever ends towards one side - life gently - pivot it to the other side.

Move the front around like that for a bit, and then do the same - except going the other way - at the back.

To move the shed backwards and forwards, use the levers again but only stick them a couple of inches under the shed, and then lift the level ends up further to level the shed bas backwards (or forwards, as needed).

Basically, the shed should move quite easily. Just don't lift any part more than a fraction on an inch or you'll risk distorting the shed - and possibly cracking a window if it's glass. :)

mikki likes this.
  3. mikki

mikki Member

Hi, thank you! The Shed is sitting on a concrete base. You reckon 2 people can do it? It's just me and hubby. I want to turn it right so that the door is facing the grass.

Attached Files:

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

That's 8' x 6' isn't it?

As above(emptied, should be able to push round).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

mikki likes this.
  5. Should be no problem.

The secret is to not lift it excessively, so no twisting of the shed sides.

It doesn't look as tho' it has glass in the window? In which case that's the main worry taken care of :)

Good chance it can be pushed as Mr Ha says, but use levers as I said before if it's tricky.

BUT, push at the very bottom - not against the shed sides!

mikki likes this.
  6. Mr. Handyandy

I once had ropes and 2x2 to shift an 8x6.

The 2 ropes were 10ft long, threaded under the shed in the middle and holed though 2x2, 3ft long(holes at 2ft) and knotted. One at each end.

The 2x2 lifted at one end(stopped at the other) and was just the right height for me to lift the shed at my end and shift it to the side. Nip round the back and do the same.

I did this because the shed was situated close to a fence, so I could shift it when re-staining was needed.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

mikki likes this.
  7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Why would you want to turn it, the path would look daft going to the side of the shed, unless you're planning on altering that as well.

mikki likes this.
  8. mikki

mikki Member

Yes, want to make a small patio area. We have a triangular garden , the path makes it look even more pointy so we want to maybe square it off at the top where the shed is with a patio area around and shed facing the rest of the garden instead of the fence.

9. mikki

mikki Member

Better view of the garden.

Attached Files:

10. Phil the Paver

This new pic, shows the existing shed base as not being big enough to turn the shed around and the slabs in front of the door don't look level with the base.

11. mikki

mikki Member

So not doable anymore?

12. Phil the Paver

Everything doable, just not as easy as first thought.

mikki likes this.
  13. Mr. Handyandy

You might like to lift the slabs outside the door, and lay more concrete.
    Then when you turn it, you'll have 2ft of concrete along the new door front side.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

mikki likes this.
  14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Looks like a Search Engine promotion thread to me

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG]

16. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I'm guessing that a post has been deleted based on your comment. It would be much easier to follow threads sometimes if the deleted posts were redacted but remained in place so that we had a clue.

17. TopHatTaylor

TopHatTaylor New Member

I moved my shed last year was pretty easy in the end, emptied it and then got a few lengths of timber stud and used that as a big lever to gentle lift each corner then pushed a stud under it. Was then able to gently pull it away from the fence. It was then just a matter using the studs as a track and pushed the shed onto a temporary base :)

IMG_2845.jpg IMG_2871.jpg