Moving a mains socket - how to invisibly blank old socket hole

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Dave Stewart, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Dave Stewart

Dave Stewart Member

Hello Screwfixers,

I'm in the final stages of a house redecorate / refit and for aesthetic reasons, have decided to move some sockets.

Rather than take up the carpet, plywood and boards my builder's chased the wiring from the original fitting round the corner in some conduit, but said his spark would have to advise on the electrics (but he's booked for a few weeks).

[​IMG]

In the meantime, I just want to find out what the best way to do this would be, bearing in mind that I want the original hole to be invisible; i.e. no plastic blanking plate, just filled / painted so you can't tell it was ever there.

I presume this can be (invisibly and most importantly, safely) done, right?

Cheers,
    Dave

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Cut plasterboard then fit in the the hole, may take 3 pieces stuck together with filler and then finish off flush with toupret filler sanded and emulsioned.

3. Dave Stewart

Dave Stewart Member

I'd expected to have to put the wires in some kind of insulated junction box or something, no?

tore81 likes this.
  4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

That's a lazy way of doing the job really and now you've got the problem of live cables and connections in the wall

The original socket can't be filled in now as there needs to be some indication of live cables present - hence a blanking plate would usually be fitted

Also connections need to be accessible, although dependant on method used ( maintenance free JB / crimps then no)

Seems like the builder and spark needed to talk this through first, especially as you wanted an invisible repair

I'm only diy so more advice (or better) may follow

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I'm only advising about filling the holes.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hi Astra, I'm not having a pop at your reply honest , had to read the OP several times to understand the situation

Used your method myself several times to great effect. When I go to my local tip I usually ask for a couple of PB off cuts as they recycle this there. Usually really decent sized offcuts just laying there and as long as it's been dry, comes in handy for the odd diy repair

7. Dave Stewart

Dave Stewart Member

I've just done a bunch of googling on the subject, and the general consensus seems to be that this does not fit regs, and the wires should be crimped or soldered if they are going to be plastered into the wall.

These got mentioned a few times:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/3-way-lever-connector-222-series-pack-of-50/76776

I'm still unsure if this should be straight plastered into the wall, or put in a junction box first.

As long as we don't stray into the realms of Cowboy I'll sleep at night...

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Your above post is only addressing one issue though and that is the method of connection to extend the ring

Whatever method is used, I'm still sure that you can't simply plaster flush over the old socket box as there will be no indication that live cables are present in that section of wall (if the ring is extended from that point)

Wiring to and from sockets is run vertically and / or horizontally within zones. A face plate gives an indication that cables are present around that area (or blanking plate)

Your proposition, irrespective of jointing method, would give no indication of live cables

I'm sure some sparks will be on later, I'm diy (as my name) :p

9. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

To my knowledge cables have to be 50mm into the wall and protected by an RCD. I'm also interested in this post as that is what I have seen done.

10. Dave Stewart

Dave Stewart Member

I should have posted this in the Electricians forum - doh! Might see if I can move it - if not, look for a post there

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

12. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Not sure on that method that is a mechanical connection which could come loose. Especially if you are plastering over.Then if there is a fault sparks will never find it. The crimping would be a much better option surely

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I know I'm only a diyer and could be well wrong here but is the main issue with this method not being missed ?

If the joint is to be buried or made not accessible then yep, must be a maintenance free joint (various options)

But then plastering over the joint and redundant socket leaves live cables in the wall with no indication , ie no outlet, accessory or blank plate

If an existing cable is damaged in the wall, (drilled into usually)then cut out replace and crimped, then plaster away, fine. There will be an accessory in the zone that should indicate the presence of a live cable - but not in the above case...... I think..... But could be wrong...... Bloody diyers eh :mad:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  14. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Zones are the issue here. You need to leave the sockets, or have blank plates. You should of lifted the floor.

tore81 likes this.
  15. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Where do you find the information on zones? elec. I know in general cables run vertically.then through ceilings/attics. But sometimes you see them run horizontal.

16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

The new socket you would assume cable run is vertical, either up or down. Removing the faceplate would confirm this. May be horizontal run if in zone and other sockets are nearby on the same line

The old socket, now removed and plastered in, even with maintenance free connections, where is the indication that live cables are present ?

The path from old to new is now diagonal- complies with regs ??

17. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Horizontal is ok provided it lines up with an at least one accessory.

18. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As said above :rolleyes:

Are people not missing the issue here Seneca ? Or is it me ?

Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong :)

19. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

They just don't get it do they Dave, its not that bloody complicated is it!

20. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Dave Stewart, just give in and fit a blanking plate, it will hardly notice if you paint it the same colour as the wall and it will save you a lot of bother with the connection arrangements, just a bit of choc-block is all that will be required!