Moving incoming supply, meter & Consumer Unit.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Pilkinb, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Pilkinb

Pilkinb New Member

I have recently moved into a 30 year old bungalow which looks like all the wiring is original (red & Black) and has an old Wylex consumer unit with NB type 2 MCB's, no RCD's or RCBO's and a single 100amp incomer.

As part of some remodelling I want to knock down the wall which has the consumer unit installed and will have to move the incoming supply, meter and install a modern consumer unit to an outside wall approx 5 metres away from its current location. I have some questions before I embark on this project.

1. How easy will it be for my local electrical contractor to extend all the wiring from its current location to the new location of the consumer unit, or will this be a major rewire of the property. (any connections would be accessible in the loft)

2. How much work can be carried out by the electrical contractor and where does his responsibility end and then become the responsibility of the Distributor to move the supply?

3. About how much would it cost to move the supply, meter and consumer unit

2. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Couple of points

Personally I would not even consider extending 30 year old cables. Far better to replace them.

As you moving the meter to an outside wall have you thought about putting it on the outside in a box?

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Morning Pilk. It is definitely an advantage to have access from the loft, being a bungalow, as all the wires entering the consumer unit are accessible.

To relocate the incoming supply cable you need to contact the DNO and ask them to come out and quote you. They will expect you to do most of the work, though, like supply and install the new meter cabinet, supply and install the hockey stick, and probably dig some of the trench. Budget a £1000 for that.

To relocate the consumer unit it may be possible to re-route the wiring if you are moving it towards the circuits (ie shortening the run) else some cables may need extending. A new 17th edition compliant CU would be needed and your electrician would be responsible for everything from the meter cabinet onwards. Budget another £1000 for that.

Regards

FatHands likes this.
  4. Pilkinb

Pilkinb New Member

Thanks for the info - I have just filled in a form for Electricity North West for a quote to move the supply to the outside wall of the garage. I will be contacting my electrical contractor to discuss the Consumer Unit.

5. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

It's a Bungalow and it sounds like U plan to stay so get it rewired anyway.

As UP says budget around £2K if not rewired, maybe only £3.5K if rewired as Bungles are a piece of urine!

6. Pilkinb

Pilkinb New Member

Spot on "unphased", quote from DNO was £1087 and I would have to dig some of the trench, install the meter cabinet and hockey stick.

Really quick response from Electricity North West and really helpful. Awaiting discussion with Electrical Contractor regarding Consumer unit.